Please help me choose! Coding usage..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vapor2k, Feb 22, 2018.

1. vapor2k macrumors newbie

So I’m fairly new to coding, I will be going to university here in Canada in either Computer Science or Software engineering.

Now I want to future proof my laptop now. I already own a MacBook Pro Retina 13inch late 2013. 8gb RAM and 256GB SSD. Light usage in this past 3 years only, only 150 battery cycle used

Now I also recently got a MacBook Air 2017 8gb RAM and 256GB this one is brand new.

My question is which one should I keep? I want my laptop to last for the next 5 years or so.

2. anika200 macrumors member

Keep the newest one. Good luck with your endeavors. :)
    Coding sounds more like an iMac or Mac Pro maybe???

3. vapor2k thread starter macrumors newbie

I do need a laptop that's why :)

4. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

I’d keep the air sell the pro

5. vapor2k thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just afraid that the screen might hurt my eyesight since coding needs a lot of focus .. any insight on that ?

6. icymountain macrumors 6502

I find that retina is better for everything, but the difference is greater when looking at images, rather than ASCII text. When coding, I use rather large size fixed width fonts, and feel fine even on non retina screens. Based on this, I would suggest keeping the 2017' air. Good luck in your studies, CS/CE is a lot of fun!

7. vapor2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you mate :)

8. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

I have terrible vision and will say retina displays look gorgeous but at the same time the Air is simply a better value/last longer. I’m in your boat rn I’m going to college in less then a year and recently have found a love for the MacBook Air since I already have a nice iPad Pro for 90% of my computing needs. Simply waiting for it to go back on a $250+ sale or for a 13” MacBook...if that comes out i might cave and spend ~$2000 on that. :confused::eek: I would use any computer with a standard non high res monitor, if that doesn’t bug you the MBA is going to be fine.