Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Hi Everyone

Sorry I advanced for the long waffly post, I didn't expect it to happen this way when I started.

I know these type of questions get asked all the time and to be honest I should know the answer as I visit the site multiple time per day, but here goes....

I currently have an iPhone 5 32gb as this was the cheapest iPhone I could buy that would work with the Apple Watch. Just before this I had a company iPhone 6 which while lovely was sometimes annoying whilst trying to use it one handed whilst lying in bed.

So my options are at the moment are obviously the SE, 6 or 6S and the latter Plus Models.

Coming from a 5 I assume all of the above will be a noticeable difference, so that doesn't really help me.

Size is obviously a big (pardon the pun) factor and as I said above have previously has slight reservations when using the 6, but on the other hand I find the 5 so incredibly small some times with my chubby fingers covering the screen. So I then start thinking if the 6/6S is harder to use one handed why not go the whole hog and get a plus model.

Cost is probably the biggest factor as I will be buying the phone outright either new/refurbished or used. This normally leads me down a path of a 16gb device even though I have always advised family to get a larger storage iPhone in the past.

Overall I am just simply lost.....any help, suggestions or simply other points of view would be greatly welcomed.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
No one can make this decision for you, and I'm not sure what I ultimately will do, but I can at least give you my two cents:

First, eliminate the Plus. You already find the 6/6s to be difficult to use one-handed, so you'd find the Plus incredibly unwieldy. Also, nothing in your post suggests that you value improved screen visibility over comfort; rather, your concern with the SE is also usability ("chubby fingers").

Next, decide between the 6/6S using a simple cost/benefits analysis since they present the same usability issues. The 6S offers Force Touch and some speed and camera improvements. The 6 will be cheaper, or you could spend the same amount and get more memory. To help with your decision, forget the SE and Plus when deciding between the 6 and 6S. The cost/benefits analysis is yours alone, but based on what you said, a new or refurb 6 might be a nice option since you liked it and want to save some money.

As between the SE and the 6/6S winner, this is trickier because both present things you like. If you chose the 6S above, choose that here as well because that would mean you already put a premium on speed, Force Touch, and camera improvements. Those same considerations, accordingly, should be the tiebreaker here. If you chose the 6, then you must choose whichever you believe wins in overall usability. Which is more annoying -- your occasional difficulty typing on the SE or your occasional difficulty reaching everything on the 6? Which is a more attractive feature -- a bigger screen or better pocketability? If you still can't decide between those, choose an arbitrary tiebreaker -- for example, the best deal you find, the most attractive case you find, etc.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
My advice is to try a Plus size. Go with whichever model fits your budget.

You have two weeks to try it out ... if you don't like it because it's physically too large, return it and get a non-Plus. It's the only way you'll know if the size works for you or not. Playing with it in the store isn't enough. You need to live with it for a while (it took me 2-3 days to get used to the size).

I did that when the 6 came out, and I'm glad I did. Stuck with the 6 Plus, and upgraded to the 6S Plus when that came out. When the 7 arrives, I'll stick with a Plus. Yes, I had to make some concessions on one handed usage, but I'm used to the larger screen and will never go back to a smaller one.

Reactions: SD449

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
My advice is to try a Plus size. Go with whichever model fits your budget.

You have two weeks to try it out ... if you don't like it because it's physically too large, return it and get a non-Plus. It's the only way you'll know if the size works for you or not. Playing with it in the store isn't enough. You need to live with it for a while (it took me 2-3 days to get used to the size).

I did that when the 6 came out, and I'm glad I did. Stuck with the 6 Plus, and upgraded to the 6S Plus when that came out. When the 7 arrives, I'll stick with a Plus. Yes, I had to make some concessions on one handed usage, but I'm used to the larger screen and will never go back to a smaller one.

especially with the watch , i love the 6 plus. i can do everything with the watch when i dont want to deal with its cumbersome size.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Like you mentioned, you should be able to do this for yourself. However, since you want opinions... I think that you are having issues with buying the 6/6s since you see that it is small and feel it should be usable by one hand quite easily, but just can't quite do so. Unless you want to use it two handed, or get used to it then rule those out. The SE is a tried and true design, quite fast, but if you think a 4" screen is too small then rule that out as well. This leaves the 6+/6s+. You already know it will be a two handed phone, so you should use it with that mentality. I've used a 6+ before and kind of got used to the size, but didn't prefer it so I dropped to a smaller model. Another experience of mine with the 6+ is I thought it was quite slow, and couldn't handle my multitasking with the speed and battery efficiency I would've liked. I have heard the 6s+ corrects this, but have not used one for myself.

I would personally not buy a 6 or 6+, since I don't feel they are worth the price as new devices; used is another story. I also feel the SE is a real good value even though I don't like the small size. Best advice: You just need to make a priority list of a few key features (size, price, battery life, etc.) and start knocking phones off the list. That will make the process loads easier. Also, if buying from Apple, a 14 day return policy helps too!

Reactions: valinda and SD449

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Thank you everyone for your replies, seems like the Plus models are coming out on top.

I've used a 6+ before and kind of got used to the size, but didn't prefer it so I dropped to a smaller model. Another experience of mine with the 6+ is I thought it was quite slow, and couldn't handle my multitasking with the speed and battery efficiency I would've liked.

Slightly worried about the above though

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Thank you everyone for your replies, seems like the Plus models are coming out on top.

Slightly worried about the above though

That's why I strongly suggest you get the Plus and see if it works out for you. You'll have two weeks to decide. If you don't dig it, swap it down for a smaller model. If you do dig it, you're set! Either way, you'll know for sure.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Whatever you get, try and aim for the "Sim Free / unlocked ". So you won't have sell or swap it , just because you have to switch carriers. The 6s Sim Free works on AT&T. AT&T does not want to give SIM cards to people with the other iPhone 6s, even if it is unlocked. However, if you do buy the "T-mobile - Verizon - Sprint" 6s ( or 6s+ ) you can stll connect it to AT&T by getting cricket

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I am sorta in dilemma myself, OP. If it is geared toward cost, I would just buy a 5s. They sell them for $150 5s at Walmart or ATT Go phones for 5s at Best Buy for $250. I can probably get them cheaper second hand and get the battery replaced cheap for like $15 locally here. 5s looks like an SE, so why bother paying more if you want to be a fashionista with an SE?

But I am 90% sure I will get iPhone 7 but the reason I am considering SE is because it is the king of battery SOT. I have a Nexus One pouch that the 5s or SE could fit into. And I just like the design better overall. A 64gb SE would still be $150 cheaper than a 32gb 7. So for cost efficiency and storage, maybe SE or find a better bargain for 5s which looks the same as it. But then I want the waterproofing of the 7 with the bigger display since 4.5 is my bare minimum to type on and 4.7 is closest to it.

I prefer SwiftKey but can't adjust the size for iOS. Don't like QuickType and no adjustments either for bigger size. "4 wouldn't practical for me to type on. I already can make quite a few typos with 4.5-5. Cheap 5s, 64gb SE, or 32gb 7 for $150 more than SE? The 14% bigger battery is nice to hear but A10 might be faster to offset power efficiency. That's the balancing act with a newer SoC. Speed vs battery life? I expect iPhone 7 to on par with 6s like 10-12 hrs with web and video while SE is still king at 13-14 hrs. The Plus/Pro will likely surpass the regular 7 though in SOT.

For OP, wait for the 7 announcement. It should between the three different 7, 7 Plus, 7 Pro, and SE. Don't settle for 6s unless you need a headphone jack or want to save cash. Only need to wait another two months.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
I was facing your situation 2 weeks ago. I decided on the SE.

My previous phone was the 4s. So an upgrade to SE actually increased in screen real estate for me, albeit just slightly.

Three major considerations for me. Price. Robust OS/ camera, and the ability to simply have a phone, rather than a phablet.

I want to live my life, and enjoy it. I don't want to pamper my phone nor be unable to hold it nicely in my hands or fit nicely in my handbag.

PS: If you really want the 6s or 6s+, then why not hold out for the 7? I wasn't waiting for the 7, so my final decision came naturally, now I can't be happier.

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Hi All

This morning I had decided on a iPhone 6s Plus (or maybe even wait for 7) because I wanted Force Touch after seeing the video moments (if thats what they're called) in IOS 10 (via wifes iPhone)

However I have just seen a used iPhone 6 Plus for £280 which is £100 cheaper than a 6S Plus I have also seen.

Both are 16gb and I don't know how I'll get on with this as my Photo library is 20gb alone! But hope the optimisation sorts this out.

Any further points of view?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
If price is a huge factor, get the SE. It's $150 cheaper than the cheapest other option (iPhone 6), and much better than the iPhone 6, too.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Hi Everyone

Sorry I advanced for the long waffly post, I didn't expect it to happen this way when I started.

I know these type of questions get asked all the time and to be honest I should know the answer as I visit the site multiple time per day, but here goes....

I currently have an iPhone 5 32gb as this was the cheapest iPhone I could buy that would work with the Apple Watch. Just before this I had a company iPhone 6 which while lovely was sometimes annoying whilst trying to use it one handed whilst lying in bed.

So my options are at the moment are obviously the SE, 6 or 6S and the latter Plus Models.

Coming from a 5 I assume all of the above will be a noticeable difference, so that doesn't really help me.

Size is obviously a big (pardon the pun) factor and as I said above have previously has slight reservations when using the 6, but on the other hand I find the 5 so incredibly small some times with my chubby fingers covering the screen. So I then start thinking if the 6/6S is harder to use one handed why not go the whole hog and get a plus model.

Cost is probably the biggest factor as I will be buying the phone outright either new/refurbished or used. This normally leads me down a path of a 16gb device even though I have always advised family to get a larger storage iPhone in the past.

Overall I am just simply lost.....any help, suggestions or simply other points of view would be greatly welcomed.

Get the Plus. It's awesome. I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.