Please help me connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by polevault139, May 12, 2007.

1. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone,

Right now I am typing this on an iMac C2D. I just recently(today) revcieved an iMac G3 as a gift. It does not have airport and I have never connected a computer to the internet. My new iMac was really easy, but I have no idea how to configure the internet connection through the ethernet cable. I have SBC DSL with a 2Wire router. I have the ethernet cable hooked up to the iMac G3 and now I dont know what to do. I tried doing the Control Panel, TCP/IP thing but dont know what to do. It is running OS 9 as well, so I'm getting used to that. Other than that I am surprised how fast it is for being so old in technology terms. Thanks for all of your help.

Kevin

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Step 1. Plug in ethernet cable
    Step 2. ???
    Step 3. Profit

Seriously though, if your setup is DSL modem -> Router -> Mac, then there should be no configuration required because your router handles that. I have to assume it didn't "just work" if you're posting here. I suppose under the TCP/IP tab you'd want "Configure IPv4: Using DHCP"... that should be all there is to it, assuming your router is setup for DHCP which it should be. It wouldn't be any different than configuring your iMac C2D, minus entering any wireless connection info.