Please help me convert 3g iphone to ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bwest, Mar 1, 2011.

1. bwest macrumors newbie

Please help. I admit I am technologically challenged but I am good at following directions. I am currently using the iphone 4 but I have an old 3g iphone that I would like to use for my son as a ipod touch. I would like to sync it with the apps that I have on my itunes account. So far I have removed the SIM card from it and he has used it to play apps but he has accidentally deleted some of the apps. I have been scared to try to sync it with my itunes account because I was concerned it might somehow mess up my iphone 4 and confuse itunes. Is there a simple way to accomplish being able to restore the apps for the old 3g phone, purchase new apps, etc and essentially use it as a ipod touch? I appreciate any help...please use simple terms though!

2. nukem170 macrumors member

When you set up any device (iphone, ipod) itunes gives you the option to set up the device as a new device with a different name or to restore it from a previous backup. Just format your 3g and set it up as a new device and give it a different name than your iphone 4. Then you can sync the apps that you had already purchased in itunes and stuff and itunes will treat it as a different device and not mess up anything on your iphone 4.

3. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Also turn on Airplane mode - and use Wifi whenever you need to.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You'll be fine, iTunes recognizes them as different devices and won't mess anything up. I use my 4, 3G and 2G on the same computer like this.

5. bwest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks and Another Question

Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it. When I plugged in my old phone itunes is still calling it my iphone and asking if I want to sync it. I was too scared to do anything because I thought it might mess up my iphone 4 so I left it plugged in to itunes and figured I would ask you guys. What should I do now? So far you guys have been great using simple terms...please keep it up!

6. nukem170 macrumors member

Thats why you need to restore it first. Connect it to itunes and restore to original factory settings. itunes will download the latest firmware and put everything on the phone back the way it was when you first got it. Then it will give you the option to set it up as a new device or restore from a backup. Just go to set up as new device.

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Here is a support article that may shed some light on what you can do.

8. bwest thread starter macrumors newbie