Please help me, debating whether to purchase a blackbook from apple genius

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BigGroll, Jun 3, 2009.

1. BigGroll macrumors member

Hello friends! I have been looking for a whitebook/blackbook for school for a while. I already have a 2.8 ghz 24 inch imac that i use for all of my media, and most of my main usage. I am going to be a senior in college, Im planning to go to grad school, and I live off campus. I would like a laptop to use just for word processing and internet usage. I work at a best buy with an apple store inside. Our in store apple genius is meticulous with all of his personal goods.

Well, the apple agents get macbooks given to them by apple to use for work. Once new mb's are released, they get the option to purchase their previous work laptops.

Basically, I could buy this blackbook from the mac genius for 500 cash. It is in perfect condition, with a 2.4 ghz processor, 1 gb of ram, and a 120 gb hd. What do you think?

Oh, and I really dont want a net book. I have huge hands and would like a full size keyboard

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

$500 is an awesome deal. That's almost half of what its worth. I would get it.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Agreed. While a little more RAM or a slightly larger hard drive would be nice, that can always be upgraded later. I'd say do it.

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Hmmm I just realized that the genius downgraded the specs. The 2.4GHz BlackBook comes standard with 2GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive. Still a good deal anyway.

5. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

i think its a great deal. i have a macbook and would buy that one if i had a chance

6. BigGroll thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking it sounded like a pretty good deal. And I doubt he downgraded the specs, its the model that is about 2 years old, although I could be mistaken. The only part that worries me is no applecare, but I suppose I could just cross my fingers!

7. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Great deal, especially with blackbooks being such a rare thing.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

2.4GHz penryn did not come out until early 2008. 2.4GHz BlackBooks came standard with 2GB of RAM and a 250GB Hard Drive. So if it is 2.4GHz, then he did "downgrade" the specs.

10. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

What if he just upgraded the logic board and nothing else?

HD and RAM are easy to replace so it is like $200 MAX to upgrade to above the factory specs

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I would go for it, unless he is an oil machine. Look at the keyboard and trackpad, if they look "wet" with finger oil I would pass. Nothing is worse than trying to navigate a system with a nasty oil soaked trackpad and oil soaked keys. I purchased a PowerBook G4 15" and I swear the previous owner must have dipped his fingers in crisco before using the device. It was just awful.

12. boston44 macrumors 6502

That's the same price I bought mine for, if it is 2.4 go for it. You could probably sell it for around $800.