Please help me decide (buy MacBook now?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kuksoolkid, Apr 17, 2007.

  1. kuksoolkid macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2007
    #1
    Hello folks,

    New to the site and the Mac here. I've finally decided to make the switch, and I've saved up about $2000 to buy a MacBook Pro.

    Having the money in the bank is making me itchy to go and buy my new baby. However, the delay of Leopard has me skeptical. So, I need some advice from people who know more than me.

    I have some questions:

    1) Does it make sense to buy hardware now? Are there new hardware upgrades coming soon (ie within the next 3-4 months)?

    2) If I buy a new MacBook now, what kind of performance could I expect when I install Leopard?

    3) I don't want to have to pay more to upgrade to newer versions of iLife and iWork in a few months. Does it make sense to wait?

    Your advice, please. I'm restraining myself from buying now (instant gratification), but if there's compelling reason to wait, I will. Help!

    Thanks,

    Mike
     
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

    emptyCup

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    #2
    1. Yes, if you want it now and you won't be devastated if something new comes along in a few months. No, otherwise. Upgrades depend on Intel releasing new parts. Have they released Santa Rosa yet?

    2. So far performance has only improved with each new version of OSX.

    3. Given that you don't want to pay to upgrade to iLife '07, the only possible answer is that it pays to wait.
     
  3. Frankf300 macrumors regular

    Frankf300

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    Location:
    NY
    #3
    The biggest thing is do you need it right now? If a new laptop is not something you really need right now you may be better off waiting. Hardware updates should be coming, but it all depends on Intel basically. If you were to go with a Macbook Pro, I don't think you would have any problems with Leopard at all. Leopard is obviously being designed around the current hardware. It's only dropping G3 support, I can't see there being a problem on a C2D. Though you mentioned the Macbook Pro and Macbook, which one are you looking at? Like emptyCup said, if you don't want to pay for iLife 07 than it may make sense to wait. But, at the same time if you buy now, you're still going to have to dish out $129 for Leopard when it's released. Either way, you're paying for some new software if you buy now. As far as hardware updates, it's anyone's guess.
     
  4. kuksoolkid thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2007
    #4
    I suppose that's the thing - time. I am in need, but I could wait a couple of months if I have to. Can anyone make an educated guess about how long it might be until new Macbook Pro hardware is released? Or what the delay of Leopard means for other software like iLife and iWork?
     
  5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

    Lord Blackadder

    Joined:
    May 7, 2004
    Location:
    Sod off
    #5
    Wait till Macworld San Fransisco, then buy - the extra cash you save in the meantime will allow you to add a few options like more RAM/bigger HDD.
     
  6. kuksoolkid thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2007
  7. Frankf300 macrumors regular

    Frankf300

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    Location:
    NY
    #7
  8. kuksoolkid thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2007
    #8
    That's much more reasonable . . . wish I could wait until next January :)
     
  9. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

    Lord Flashheart

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    Location:
    Cardiff by the Sea, CA
    #9
    If you need now, buy now. Otherwise I would wait till WWDC. It's a few months, and I know it sucks waiting, but if you can wait, do it.
     

Share This Page