Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuksoolkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Hello folks,

New to the site and the Mac here. I've finally decided to make the switch, and I've saved up about $2000 to buy a MacBook Pro.

Having the money in the bank is making me itchy to go and buy my new baby. However, the delay of Leopard has me skeptical. So, I need some advice from people who know more than me.

I have some questions:

1) Does it make sense to buy hardware now? Are there new hardware upgrades coming soon (ie within the next 3-4 months)?

2) If I buy a new MacBook now, what kind of performance could I expect when I install Leopard?

3) I don't want to have to pay more to upgrade to newer versions of iLife and iWork in a few months. Does it make sense to wait?

Your advice, please. I'm restraining myself from buying now (instant gratification), but if there's compelling reason to wait, I will. Help!

Thanks,

Mike

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
1) Does it make sense to buy hardware now? Are there new hardware upgrades coming soon (ie within the next 3-4 months)?

2) If I buy a new MacBook now, what kind of performance could I expect when I install Leopard?

3) I don't want to have to pay more to upgrade to newer versions of iLife and iWork in a few months. Does it make sense to wait?

1. Yes, if you want it now and you won't be devastated if something new comes along in a few months. No, otherwise. Upgrades depend on Intel releasing new parts. Have they released Santa Rosa yet?

2. So far performance has only improved with each new version of OSX.

3. Given that you don't want to pay to upgrade to iLife '07, the only possible answer is that it pays to wait.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
NY
The biggest thing is do you need it right now? If a new laptop is not something you really need right now you may be better off waiting. Hardware updates should be coming, but it all depends on Intel basically. If you were to go with a Macbook Pro, I don't think you would have any problems with Leopard at all. Leopard is obviously being designed around the current hardware. It's only dropping G3 support, I can't see there being a problem on a C2D. Though you mentioned the Macbook Pro and Macbook, which one are you looking at? Like emptyCup said, if you don't want to pay for iLife 07 than it may make sense to wait. But, at the same time if you buy now, you're still going to have to dish out $129 for Leopard when it's released. Either way, you're paying for some new software if you buy now. As far as hardware updates, it's anyone's guess.

kuksoolkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I suppose that's the thing - time. I am in need, but I could wait a couple of months if I have to. Can anyone make an educated guess about how long it might be until new Macbook Pro hardware is released? Or what the delay of Leopard means for other software like iLife and iWork?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Wait till Macworld San Fransisco, then buy - the extra cash you save in the meantime will allow you to add a few options like more RAM/bigger HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.