Please help me decide if this would be worth the upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hecklerdanny, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

Hey everyone. I'm thinking about possibly ordering a new Mac Pro. I'm wondering if the speed/performance increase would be worth it.

I currently have the 2008 24" iMac with 4GB's of Ram and the 2.4GHz processor. (I got it very soon after they resigned them to aluminum)

I'm looking at a new Mac Pro with the 2.66GHz Quad-Core processor, 6GB's of Ram and a 1TB HD, and I'd get the new 24" LED Cinema Display to go with it.

Obviously on paper it looks like a nice upgrade, but is it enough of a boost to justify the cost? I use my Mac now for some fairly extensive graphic/video work. I'm a pretty heavy user of Final Cut, Photoshop and iMovie. I do a LOT with photos, video, and media in general.

I should also add that I'd be selling my current iMac, and putting that money towards this one. I also have a Government discount that would save me around $320.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone in advance.

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

The MP is going to be wayyy faster than your current iMac, I'm so happy that I upgraded to a MP, it such a wonderful experience using it, it's super fast, you can do as many things at once as you'd like and there is barely no slow down at all. That was the biggest thing over my MBP, if I was reencoding video, that was basically all I could do because it slowed way down, but with my MP I can do video encoding and a bunch of other stuff and completely forget that I was even doing the encoding.

I say if you have the money, sell the iMac, put that money towards the MP, also just remember that the MP will have to sit really close to the display because that cord is so freaking short.

:apple:

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can get extension cables now. Just googling mini displayport extension cable will bring up links to sales pages.