Please help me decide iPhone 6 or 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tmurray315, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Tmurray315 macrumors regular

So I have a 6 plus pre orderd but I went into store this weekend and saw it I'm not sure what to think of it. wanted your guys opinions should I wait for my 6 plus or should I cancel the pre order and get the 6. I don't see any major differences between the phones both are pretty similar in hardware what do you guys think?

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I could see significant differences myself in display quality, but that's just me. And there is a significant difference in battery life as reported in some of the threads discussing this topic, the gist of it being that the Plus has several hours more of battery life to it.

If you could not see a difference just get the one that you think feels good to use, to carry and will meet your day to day needs/usage pattern. It's such a personal subjective decision I can't really nudge you one way or the other.

I'm sticking to my Plus order for now because of the additional battery life and because my vision is wonky and the display looks best to me through progressive lenses. I also hope the larger display will serve me well for the GPS function in my car.

Drawback to the Plus is that I'm used to always having my phone with me in a pocket, usually. I'm going to have to figure out how to do that with the Plus. I'm not completely sure I won't end up with a 6 eventually. Though the 6 isn't really that much easier for me to carry, either. The 4s was the last phone I could easily pocket. The 5s is pushing it.

3. zoonyx macrumors 6502

I'm in the same position really.

The battery life is great. The camera is great (though I'm hoping this is true of both).

For me it's just too big.

4. Zxxv Suspended

comes down to how are you going to carry it. I think apple did a good job with the iPhone 6 because most people carry their iPhone in their jeans pocket and they have nothing else in that pocket, the old iPhones didn't make full use of that space, there was space to spare, the iPhone 6 addresses this by filling more of the space. It is a little unwieldy at times to use one handed if you have smaller hands but I'm betting peoples manual dexterity will improve the more they use iPhone 6

the 6 + is two handed for me and just isn't viable to my lifestyle. I don't want to carry it in a bag, I want it in my pocket. Its too big and heavy for me for my pockets. For others its fine. Nice device though.

5. Tmurray315 thread starter macrumors regular

I know I have the s5 it's pretty big I don't want anything bigger afraid it won't fit In my pockets I had the chance to pick up the 6 this weekend but decided to wait for my 6 plus I think I'm going to cancel my pre order and get the 6

6. zetti macrumors 6502a

zetti

The screen size increase is considerable but the display quality is better IMO plus bigger battery, it really depends on your usage and what you do with the phone.

7. whirldy macrumors regular

whirldy

We cancelled our Apple Store 6+ and got the 6. 6+ just (k)not practical for our everyday use. That is all!

8. caprica21 macrumors member

I am 6" tall, ordered 6+, went to apple store to check both phones and immediately decided to cancel by order and go for 6.

If you are traveling often, put your phone in jeans pocket most of time, not a heavy iPhone game user, then go for 6

If you really care about screen real estate (bigger screen better phone motto), Optical image stabilization is you cannot leave without and really really want more battery, ok to carry phone in your purse/bag, go for 6+

I absolutely wanted optical image stabilization. But other than that, I don't see defining reason to go for 6+ as I came from iPhone 4 so 6 itself is quite bigger for me. I can charge my phone once a day and i am not heavy game user.

Doesn't matter what others say, at end of day, you know, its your choice and comfort level. So play around for some time and decide which one will fit your needs after initial warm-up time (few months?) :)

9. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Here's my advice:

1) 1 hand vs 2 hands

Unless you have very large hands, you will not full functionality with only 1 hand. You probably won't be able to type a text message or complete a website URL as you will have difficulties pressing 'A', 'Shift' or the button to change to numbers/symbols. Sometimes you may not be able to reach for some buttons when you're in an application.

When you first pick it up it might not occur to you yet as a problem. However when you actually start to use it in your daily life, you'll find that there will be many situations where only 1 of your hands are free. Not being able to use the phone with just one hand is the biggest dealbreaker for me and for many other people.

Take a look at your phone habits and note each time when you only use 1 hand to use your phone. If this is too much for you to give up, then do not get an iPhone 6+.

2) Putting it in your pocket

Many of us are used to keeping our mobile phones in our pockets ever since the days of the tiny Nokias. Now I'm female and apart from baggy jeans, there is no way that an iPhone 6+ could fit in my pocket. I'm guessing that it won't fit well in most men's pants too.

Again if this is too much for you to give up, then do not get an iPhone 6+.

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Keep the order. You have 14 days to exchange it if you don't like it.

11. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Go with your gut. Don't think too much about it. Whatever you think you want off the top of your head might be the best candidate for you. I thought I wanted the 4.7, but then I used some 5.5 inch phones and realized they are so much more capable as general devices and computers. If you want a "phone" - get the 6. If you want a computing device with cellular connectivity, get the Plus.

12. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

It depends on what you can comfortably carry and use. Considering how most of us use our smartphones these days, the bigger display is going to provide a better experience. It just can't come at the expense of usability. The problem is that everybody is going to have a different point where it becomes too big. For me that line is probably about 5.6-5.7. The plus is right on the edge, but comes in under. I can just barely reach the entire screen one handed and it pretty well fills up the pocket in my pants without poking out the top. Your limit might be 5.2. If it is, you'll hate the plus.

13. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

I carry my iphone 6 plus in my slim J Brand jeans pocket. Go for whatever suits you. I love my iphone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey. Best phone I've used so far.

14. mrjackal macrumors newbie

Keep your preorder and sell the 6 Plus for a profit

Supply and demand! You've got a phone heading your way that people want, but that supply has yet to catch up with. Sell it on eBay and use your profit to buy the 6. Win, win, win.

15. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Since the 6+ is on the way, I suggest living with it for 2 weeks and seeing if you grow to prefer it. If you don't like it, it appears that the 6 is more likely to be less supply constrained, and you can exchange it. I've had the 6 Plus since Friday morning, and I don't want to go back to a smaller screen. I've carried it in jeans (not skinny jeans, regular Wranglers), shorts, and dress slacks with no issue, and it's also comfortable in my pocket while sitting. One handed use is not generally advised, but I'm ok with it because I love the screen size and the iPad-like landscape views (mail, messages, etc).

This is the review that helped me decide: http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/17/life-is-tough/

It's a review of both models based on the author's usage of both at Disneyland. He gives very helpful, real world usage recommendations for the 6 and 6 Plus. It's great to have a choice!

16. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Thought about switching from 6+ to 6 but I'm really loving the 1080p screen and the battery life, yeah the size is big but I'll get used to it.