Please help me decide, MBP 13 or envy 14

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jetblk328i, Aug 14, 2010.

1. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I know this is a mac forum and responses may be a little biased but I really could use some input deciding which laptop to buy for college. I am a business major if it makes a difference.

For the configurations, I am looking at the stock 2.4ghz c2d mbp and an envy 14 with i5-450m, 4gb ram, 320 gb 7200rpm,slice battery.

After doing some research, I compiled a list of pros and cons for each model, take a look:

MBP

pros:
    trackpad
    apple's customer service
    mac osx
    more solid construction/better reliability record
    lighter

cons:
    c2d
    more expensive
    hard drive performance
    some compatibility problems with certain programs
    speakers

Envy 14

pros:
    i5
    nice screen
    hard drive
    speakers
    cheaper

cons:
    heavier
    crappy trackpad
    windows 7
    bad battery life
    HP reliability record
    HP customer service

I don't intend on doing a lot of gaming but I will be using hulu/youtube frequently. Also, I expect to do a lot of web browsing,email, word processing, and spreadsheet work.

I am a little concerned about mac's compatibility with business programs(I believe dell/lenovo are more popular).

Also, I am a little worried about the viability of c2d. I want this laptop to last at least 4 years without becoming obsolete and unusable.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...get a whitebook from the refurb store and install a copy of winXP or win7 on it and you have great flexibility at a reasonable cost...

3. poot1234 macrumors member

Envy 14.

Why?

C2duo is outdated. I5 is future proof for a good while.
    Envy has a better screen
    Both keyboards I would say are about the same.
    Envy's trackpad is lacking, but you could always get a nice mouse or magic trackpad to make up for it.
    Better specs all around.
    Hp's tech support really isn't that bad.
    The envy is very solid, not as much as a unibody, but it's probably the most solid w7 laptop.
    Finally, it doesn't look like you need Mac osx for any specific reason, windows 7 is a great operating system and is a good substitute.