Please help me decide on computer options.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hixalot, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Hixalot macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some advice on my different options for my electronics. My current set up is an 2010 iMac 21.5" at home and an iPhone 4S (an iPad was part of the mix until an ex smashed it.) I like to upgrade my computers every two years, so it's time for a new computer.

I use my computer split for personal and my own small business use. Tasks are primarily web browsing, web design, promotional material design for retail store, other business tasks and I do some light gaming (Mainly Blizzard stuff, SC2, D3 and WoW.) It has occurred to me that I might not need a desktop and a portable solution, so I'm looking at the following options:

Option A) Wait for new iMac, and use an iPad as my mobile solution. This is my old set up and it worked ok, especially since more productivity options are now out for iPad, and iCloud should now mean even easier back and forth work on files and such. Biggest drawbacks I see are differences in input, sometimes the iPad just isn't enough, my games don't travel with me, and my work at home ties me to my desk.

Option B) Macbook Pro Retina as my main machine. Leaving my phone as my "other" option. This is an expensive laptop and larger than I'd previously considered but since it'd be my main machine that might be ok. It might actually be overkill for my needs though.

Option C) Macbook Air 13" with 8 GB RAM. Would replace desktop and of course very portable. Most economical option. Biggest concern is would it be adequate for the couple hours a week I get to game? The SSD is nice, and I have an external HD for extra storage.

Option D) Any other recommendations?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't think the macbook air is powerful enough for what you're looking for. Meanwhile, the iPad doesn't have the right input.

What if you went with a new iMac, and used an iPad or a macbook Air for portability? A cross between options A and C.

3. Hixalot thread starter macrumors newbie

That might end up being the solution. Didn't like the cost ramifications of an iMac + an Air (That is more expensive that the 15" MBPR from option B) but I think you're right about the iPad not being right for input.