Please help me decide on gadget dilemma

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoeFig44, Mar 30, 2012.

1. JoeFig44 macrumors newbie

I currently own a MBP 13.3 (early 2011) i7 2.7GHz along with an iPhone 4S.

Principally I had bought the MBP to game on in a portable manner, while also do some media stuff. Frankly, I never do that with it and only use it as I would a tablet (surfing the net, etc.)
    My iPhone has obvious uses beyond that, but because it is so portable I end up often using the apps to read books and blogs on it (rather than my MBP since it is so bulky).

The screen on the new iPad has got me entranced. I need to get an iPad, but my wife has suggested that I need to get rid of my MBP first (which I agree with) but she also said I should get rid of my iP4S too.
    She has an original iPad and says she doesn't want to upgrade (and thinks it's kind of foolish for me to want to bring another iPad into the house). My thing is she is on it all the time so I need a media consumption device too.

I do have a Blackberry for work, so I don't technically need another smartphone, it's really a toy.

My question is if you think I should get a new iPad and sell my MBP & iP4S, or just the MBP?
    Also, implicated in this I'd like to know if I got an LTE iPad if I could use it with Skype and a bluetooth headset for phone calls on the road when I need to. that would further allow me to say I really don't need the iP4S.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

it is a question of what to get rid of, I would get rid of both of them.

you have a blackberry for work and calls, go with the new iPad.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If I had to choose between a MBP and an iPad I would keep the MBP. The iPad is great, but it doesn't replace a laptop--not by a long shot.

Take your wife out for a nice romantic dinner, tell her she's beautiful and then work in that you want a new iPad. :)

4. JoeFig44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess would it not depend on what you use it for? I have a Windows 7 desktop & IBM Thinkpad laptop in the house too (sorry didn't mention that).

Also, hear ya on the romantic dinner, but as mentioned I've already broached the topic with her so it's on the table as described.

5. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

1) Flush the Blackberry down the toilet
    2) Backup any needed files to iCloud then sell the MBP
    3) Buy Verizon LTE iPad
    4) Install Google Voice and Talkatone
    5) Cancel 4S service and pay any fees (you'll soon make up the lost $$$)
    6) Use iPhone with wi-fi hotspot from iPad or wifi at your house
    7) Now you can text, make calls and receive calls for the cost of your data plan on iPad with no contract

6. JoeFig44 thread starter macrumors newbie

On 1) - Haha. I wish I could, but it's work issued. It's also locked down for browsing and texting, but ok for the occasional phone call.
    2) - planning on doing that
    3) - I'm in Canada, but we do have LTE up here too so same thing
    5) - no fees since i'm month-to-month
    6) & 7) - are you saying that with Google Voice & Talkatone I can go abroad with my iPad or iPhone & take land line phone calls on either?
    Does this work in Canada? Any links to info on this I could read up on?

7. B.A.T, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this will work in Canada. This faq from talk atone seems to say google voice won't work there......but lower down on the screen it seems like it does. The talk atone app is what allows you to receive calls from your GV number.

http://www.talkatone.com/faq.html

**Edit** According to the app in the appstore it appears to work in Canada. All you need to do is set up a GV number, enable Google services and then download the GV app and the Talkatone app on your iPhone and then you can test it out to see if it works.