Please help me decide on my first macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by should88233, Sep 9, 2016.

1. should88233 macrumors newbie

should88233

I know it's not the best time to got a new MBP, but I need one for working for my graduation project and my notebook with windows os is totally dead.

Options:
    1) MBP 13" Retina, i5 2.7ghz, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM $1,499.00
    2) MBP 13" Retina, i5 2.7ghz, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM $1,699.00
    3) MBP 15" Retina, i7 2.2ghz, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM $1,999.00

I will use my laptop for coding, running illustrator, photoshop, indesign, after effects for project.
    Which one can fits my needs? Is option 1 enough?

Thank you.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

15". No question. That machine, even though it's due an update, is still an absolute powerhouse.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Option 3 fits the best, you get a better GPU, and a quad core processor. Option 1 will work, and you may be happy with the performance but overall #3 is a better choice.

Options 1 and 2, have the benefit of being more portable, i.e., easier to carry a 13" laptop then a 15"

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They will all do it, the 15 inch is the only quad core powerhouse but the 13 is surprisingly capable and much more portable.

At This point in the upgrade cycle buy one from somewhere else cheaper b&h photo usually have some good deals and guides for buying a computer for photography. Apple refurbished are a great saving for an as new lapptop

5. theluggage macrumors 68030

Coding: any current Mac will do, but lots of screen space is nice, so the 15" would be better (I'd normally attach an external display where possible).

Illustrator/Indesign - Option 1 would probably do.

Photoshop/after effects: How long is a piece of string? If you're doing web design, working at on-screen resolution, Option 1 will be fine - if you're doing some high-end stuff compositing multiple huge image files then you'll be joining the "why is there no 32GB RAM option" club and moaning about the lack of Mac Pro updates. However, Option 3 is probably a safe bet.

Whatever happens - if you're not strapped for cash I'd go for 16GB RAM, since you can't expand it later. Also, think about how much storage you'll need (is 256GB enough?)

Other suggestion: look at the Refurbished store and see if you can't save a few hundred bucks or (e.g.) get a 512GB drive in your price range. Apple's refurbs have a good reputation, the 2015 models are the same as the current ones and the 2014 models are only slightly less powerful (but without the haptic touchpad - not a great loss). With the new models (inevitably) coming out in the next few months, not having paid top dollar for a brand new 2015 model might take away the sting a bit.

6. shaunp macrumors 65816

I'd say option 3 too, but wait if you can as new models are out. I would go with a 15" screen though and as much RAM and disk as you can afford. i7 CPU if you can too.

7. EliasM macrumors member

I think the 15" is best, too, even though I prefer the smaller model's footprint. You should also take into consideration storage. When buying a new computer, I always look at how much storage I have used up on the old one and double it for the new one. Upon buying the new one, I invariably think I will never run out of storage, and I'm always proven wrong after a couple of years. (This point has of course become less important with the advent of cloud services, but still.)