Please help me decide what to do with 10 day old Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eoren1, Dec 1, 2007.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

I finally pulled the trigger on the white 2.2 macbook on Black Friday. This was my first Mac and first laptop and I was thrilled at how everything 'just worked'. I even bragged to my friends. Then the problems started.

First, the locked keyboard. Happened about 5 times so far. I realize this is a Leopard bug. Still frustrating.

Then the internet connection started to crap out. I bought a Apple Extreme with the MB and setup was a breeze. Started off choosing the 802.11n with b/g compatibility. Using iStumbler, I was getting 100% signal when right next to the AEBS but this dropped to 60% if I moved 10 feet away (still within line of sight). Tried to change to the 802.11n with a compatibility but this didn't change anything. Also noted that my connection speed drops by 1/2 or more with lid closed. Connection has dropped several times as well.

I bought some ram (I had two 512mb sticks as a base) and, on replacing one stick, found some white dust near the contact points on the original stick. Not present on the second original stick.

Fourth, the battery is acting off. I'll get varying 'time left' readings. I've seen 4-6 hours with full charge; 2 hours with 85% charge. 15 minutes to 1 hours with 20% charge. All without changing the settings on power management. Also, on wakening from sleep, it takes a while to get the 'calculating time' to complete. I found info on conditioning the battery and am trying that now.

Wake times are quite slow as well.

So, I'm now considering my options. Do I visit the local Apple store's genius bar with these complaints? Do I call Apple first and ask for an RMA? Do I suck it up and wait for 10.5.x that will fix these bugs?

For all of Apple's PR work that goes into getting people to switch, you would think that they would have worked out the basics like making sure the keyboard and network drivers worked. Meanwhile, my Vista PC has caused me no troubles (though it did take 3 days to set up).

Thanks in advance for the advice,
    E

2. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

:confused: I thought when you closed the lid it went offline and went to sleep? Thats what mine does.

3. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're probably right on that point. I had been downloading something and closed the lid and noticed that the speed had slowed to a crawl when I reopened it. I had read of similar problems on AI but that may have been in 'desktop' mode (attached to the power cable as well as an external monitor and keyboard). Haven't confirmed the speed in that config yet.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Well I know both keyboard and network are both leopard related but if as your title says it's 10 days old, your within 14 days and can get an exchange with no questions asked.

However don't be surprised if those same problems come back. No RMA number needed, just goto the Apple store you bought it from with all your material and box etc (don't forget your trusty receipt) and say it's got issues and you want a replacement.

Within 14 days get a new one. I gotta say though if they are leopard issues they WILL return with a 95% certainty. You can also be like most of us (I have a mb and imac) and wait it out until a fix comes out. Again, if it's bothering you, take it back. No worries there.

5. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm - box, huh??? I bought on black friday and just tore up the box to get at the upc for my $100 rebate.

While I am frustrated with these issues, I really just need to know from those with far more experience than my measly 10 days if waiting really is the right solution.

Also, what do you make of the white dust from the Ram stick??

6. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

It's harmless. I've seen it on many, many RAM sticks in Apple laptops. No problems whatsoever.

As for the signal problems on the AEBS, have you tried enabling interference robustness on the base station? This can shorten the effective range, but if you're getting interference from other nearby electronics (e.g., cell phones, microwave ovens), it may help. You should also make sure the base station isn't sitting too near any electronics which use radio waves, or any metal surfaces.

The battery "time left" readings can rise and fall quite a lot, depending on the machine's level of activity at any given moment. That's because the calculation is predictive, based on current activity levels. For example, you'll notice that while sitting idle, your laptop may predict two hours remaining on the charge, but then if you start burning a DVD it might fall down to 20 minutes immediately. This is normal behavior. --- I've also seen calculation take a while upon waking, though I've never seen any ill effects come from this. If you want consistent battery readings, switch to percentage view, which is descriptive rather than predictive. Now, on the other hand, if the battery is saying it needs 20 HOURS to charge when you plug it in, then you have a defective battery.

Dropping connections when closing the lid isn't surprising at all. That's what it is supposed to do, unless you're using an external display and keyboard/mouse.

I've noticed that wake times can be slower on Apple laptops that use Santa Rosa components, especially when waking on battery power. Since I've seen this in several units, none of which exhibited any other problems, I would consider it an annoyance rather than a defect.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You have what I would call a normal MB with Leopard. We're patiently waiting fixes to the 2 issues you mentioned.

The white dust is harmless. It's not anthrax or anything it's probably talc or something similar during factory assembly.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It is frustrating. Try to use an external when at home, and when you're out somewhere and you notice that it's gone out, use as many mouse functions as possible. I've noticed that it usually only lasts for a minute or two on my mbp, so I'm guessing that's what you're seeing too right?
    Initially I had internet connection problems with our home router as well, but they largely disappeared by the time .1 was available. You're sure you've updated right?
    I wouldn't worry about it. In either case, you're using your own RAM right?;):)
    I'm assuming this is with the AC unplugged right? If you plug it back in, the time tells you how long until full (just FYI).

Have you calibrated your battery since you got your macbook? Have you been calibrating once per month? If not, this may be causing this problem. Check out our guide on this. :)
    Yeah, noticed this too. Just bear it until .2. I'm sure most of these minor problems will be dealt with by then.

Stick up with it. It seems like a real hassle, but using an outdated machine can really cramp your style. Remember, you'll lose the productivity gains you got with OS X if you go back to Vista/XP. ;) :)
    I think you've answered your own question there. ;) :p

There is a program that allows you to run a macbook/mbp with the lid closed. I believe it's something along the lines of insomniac, but I can't remember the exact title.

9. Towhead macrumors regular

Bummer, dude. I've had ZERO ISSUES with my SR Macbook. ZERO. Screen's fine, keyboard's fine, battery meter's fine, sleep/wake is fine. Leopard is fine. Leopard is fine on my G4+Giga 1.8 accelerator.

I don't understand how I got this lucky!! :)

<knock knock>

10. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the detailed responses and reassurances.
    Just finished conditioning the battery. It's probably my imagination but the MB seems more responsive.
    Also, did some network speed tests and am much happier. Got equivalent results with the MB in closed lid mode and open while near the AEBS as well as untethered and 10 feet away. This despite istumbler saying the signal is around 58%. Speed tests show 15-20Mb/sec - not bad!
    Thanks also for the reassurances about the ram dust.
    Guess I'll just hold tight til the updates.
    E

11. Rotary8 macrumors regular

my mb is 5 days old now. 2.2 santa rosa and so far I've yet to have any of those issues (knock on wood.) Only Issue i've been having was that it completely crashes when I watch a dvd mounted over a wifi network (when your screen goes dark and that message pops saying you'd need to do a power off) This has never happened in Tiger and I'm sure it's a leopard thing.

12. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007