Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
OK guys, this year has presented some interesting challenges, as we all know, especially for those of us who were already on the IUP program from last year. Help me decide which route I should take this year, please. Here's my story:

I currently own a 6s Plus Rose Gold 128GB. I love the rose gold but I want a black bezel this year.

At the time preorders opened on Friday, there were ZERO black phones available for reservation for the upgrade in my entire state. So I grabbed my only option, a rose gold 7 plus 128GB. That's what I have reserved for 8:30am Friday morning, but it's not the phone I want.

I went to bed pissed off, and got up 15 minutes later deciding to just order a phone outright at full price. I ordered a black 7 Plus, but by that time ship dates had slipped to Oct 4 - 10. (I should have just done this first).

So now I have a reservation for a phone I don't want, and an order for a phone I do want coming in a few weeks. I'm currently on the IUP program with my 6s Plus. So help me decide - these are my choices:

1. Show up for my reservation at 8:30am on Friday morning and hope they will swap the rose gold I have reserved for black. This is best case scenario. If this happens, go through with the trade-in and renew the IUP as originally planned, and cancel the order for the black phone. If they don't have a black phone to swap, I'll leave with nothing, since the black phone I have on order may not be here before the 14 day return period on the rose gold expires.

Of course, if they CAN swap it out for black, I could also just buy it outright and not deal with whether or not they will improve the experience for existing IUP members next year, and pay off the remaining balance on my 6s Plus and sell it on Swappa.

If #1 above doesn't work out, when the black 7 arrives, I have a couple of options:

1. Take the black phone I purchased at full price into an Apple store, return it, and rebuy under the IUP program, and trade in my existing 6s Plus, and continue with the IUP program, and hope they improve the process for next year.

2. Pay off the balance of my existing 6s Plus and sell it on Swappa, keep the black phone I purchased at full price, and say sayonara to the IUP altogether.

I'm hesitant to renew the IUP after the fiasco this year for existing members (note I had zero issues starting the IUP last year - it was completely painless for me). Am I missing any pros or cons to either option?

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any input!

tl;dr - Will pre-orders for existing IUP members suck again next year? Should I buy a phone outright this year and pay off and sell my 6s Plus, or should I trade in and renew on IUP?

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I don't think anyone knows how it's gonna be next year. I ran into the same problem with the black phones. I'm just gonna wait. I'll bet I get one within the week.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I like option #2 If you can afford to pif, why do you need the IUP program? Go to the reservation, if no black, then leave without buying. I think a lot of people are going to try to switch and I believe last year, they never had any extra to swap to begin with. Keep your pre order and be done with it. You just need to be patient to get the one you want.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I also wanted a black phone upgrade but I'm settling for the silver to get it at launch. If I didn't find the whole selling the phone on my own such a mystery (and hassle) I would pay off my current IUP 6S+, sell it and buy the black 7+ outright. Next year I would find the exact phone I want and rejoin IUP getting the new phone shipped to me giving me a better chance of getting exactly what I want and selling the the 7+. I know eventually they are going to get this program right but the only way you can give yourself the best shot is to have all your options open to you for next year. So if you don't mind selling phones on your own, this would be my advice.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Btw, I read the whole thing. I'm just not familiar with the iPhone upgrade program. My role of thumb in life is if you really want something, don't settle for something less. This has always been my mantra on purchasing my tech devices.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Too long to read...

Dude, I included a tl;dr at the end just for you! :)

I like option #2 If you can afford to pif, why do you need the IUP program? Go to the reservation, if no black, then leave without buying. I think a lot of people are going to try to switch and I believe last year, they never had any extra to swap to begin with. Keep your pre order and be done with it. You just need to be patient to get the one you want.

I like the no interest thing. Yeah, I can make the same payments on my credit card, but I don't have any interest free offers at this moment.

I also wanted a black phone upgrade but I'm settling for the silver to get it at launch. If I didn't find the whole selling the phone on my own such a mystery (and hassle) I would pay off my current IUP 6S+, sell it and buy the black 7+ outright. [...] So if you don't mind selling phones on your own, this would be my advice.

I've actually sold every phone I've ever had since the original in 2007, so selling the phone isn't a hassle to me.

I don't know why this has become such a dilemma for me!! Thanks to everyone who responded so far!!

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Sorry I didn't make it that far down that long wall of text you put up:D
So in a few sentences what were you asking?

LMAO...I talk a lot, too. :)

tl;dr Will options for existing IUP members suck again next year? Should I buy a phone outright this year and pay off and sell my 6s Plus, or should I trade in and renew on IUP?

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
If you don't want the Rose gold why even go on Friday? Doubt they will let you swap for a different color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.