Please help me decide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Geekbabe, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Geekbabe, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I have a July 2011 13 inch MBA i5 1.7, 4GB ram, 128GB SSD with AppleCare. This was a refurb from the Apple store online & has run beautifully in the 6 months I've owned it.

BUT... I got an iPad 3 a month ago, the screen is amazing, so much so that using my Air is almost painful now. The sleek form factor & lightness of the Air still makes it useful for traveling.

Should I sell the Air & use the money towards upgrading to the new Retina Pro, will the benefit of getting that fabulous retina screen outweigh the increased weight of the Pro over the Air? My other option would be to wait and see if Asus releases their new Zenbook Prime with an option to order it with 8GB of memory.

Sigh.. Retina with the lightness of the Air..

2. Martialis macrumors member

Why would you need a Retina Pro? I wouldn't. I seems like you are just enraptured by the pretty screen at the moment and not thinking practicalities.

Of course, you can do whatever you want with your money. I just wouldn't do this were I you.

3. hi-there macrumors member

Hi Geekbabe,

Only you can answer that question. The new MacBook Pro is amazing and I have ordered one myself but MacBook Air is certainly a lot lighter and easier to get around with. I would ask myself this question, "Do I move (carry) my laptop on a daily basis?" If the answer is yes, I would be more inclined to stick with the Air. On the other hand, if the Mac sits on my desk for days at a time, I might be tempted to switch to the Pro.

The MacBook Pro is pretty light for the performance it packs, but the Air is much lighter and more portable. Hard choice! When you decide, come back and let us know.

4. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Don't waste $3,000 for a screen. Spend $2,000 next year. First gens are always buggy.

5. Geekbabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I blog & intend to dive more deeply into photography to produce better quality images & videos for my site. I spend a lot of time staring at a computer screen, the retina has greatly reduced eye strain.