Please help me decided whether to buy an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -Ryan-, Feb 26, 2009.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Hello all, I hope you can help me with some decisions regarding whether I should buy an iPhone. I know I'm on Macrumors so I'll get all the fanboys, but please do try and remain neutral and assess whether I actually should get one..
    I currently have a Sony Ericsson C905 - a top end sliding phone with WiFi, 8.1MP camera, GPS etc etc. However, when I purchased it from the O2 shop the sales rep made a mistake and didn't put it through the system properly. I'll not go into the details, but upon speaking to a sales rep on the phone I've been told there is no way for them to prove that I got the phone and so they can't change it now. I've now got a free C905.
    So, as a result I'm now rethinking. I can sell a C905 for £250ish no problem. It's new condition and only a couple of weeks old. Selling it would give me the money up front required to buy a 16gb iPhone.
    Now, here is my major problem. I've already got a 16gb 4th gen Nano that was purchased only a couple of months ago for being on the move. This purchase would be redundant. I don't need the Nano for anywhere else either as I have numerous iPods in the house in fixed positions. That would make my Nano a waste. Also, the C905 is really a top end phone; much better features overall than an iPhone, however, being a Sony Ericsson it's a little rough around the edges, which is something I know I wouldn't get from an Apple product.
    I'm really in two minds here. Not really swayed one way or the other; but I know if I did sell the C905, I'd be able to get a 16gb iPhone and still have money left over, and only pay the same amount for my contract.
    Also, has anyone had any luck getting a free O2-O2 unlimited calls bolt on when buying an iPhone or is that stretching it? Because I already have that on my current contract and it would be a nightmare to lose it.
    Thanks for any help anyone can give,
    Ryan

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Go the the apple store, play around with it and decide. Its not rocket science.

3. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

What do you use your phone?
    Will the iPhone do those things? will it do it better?
    Way the pros and con of each device, go to an Apple store to play with the iPhone and see which one is best for you.

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Up until a few days ago I resisted getting an iPhone because I was convinced a 32GB version was just around the corner. I got a 16GB :)

Well I have to tell you I love it! It's perfect for music and video playback and it's great for surfing the net and checking email but what really makes it one of the most handiest devices is the selections of apps from the iTunes Store.

With apps of your choice you customise what kind of device you want/need your iPhone to be. For example you can choose it to be a gaming device (Monopoly and Brain Challenger are great BTW), you can have it as an office device or a social networking tool (Facebook, Twitter, etc) or you can have it as a combo of everything. It's really up to you and what your personal needs are.

Get one you won't regret it.

5. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, I did just take the plunge earlier and ordered a 16gb one. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. Can't wait to play with my new gadget. :)

6. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I was in the same predicament as you with an iPod and phone that did what I thought all I needed. I didn't realize, even after playing in the store with the iPhone, all the things it can do, and do well. You will be glad you got one (until the new one comes out).