Please help me design my home network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Absberg2k, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Absberg2k macrumors newbie

I'm begging for a little help from the experts. I have previously been successfully running a wireless home network with a 1st generation Time Capsule. Its in the basement of my 2 story house sitting right next to the cable modem. It worked just fine but my coverage wasn't always the best.

I have just recently purchased a 5th generation Airport Extreme (dual band, etc.).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make use of these two devices with the most efficient operation and the best coverage throughout the house.

I have the ability to hard wire (ethernet cable) one base station to the other; with one in the basement next to the cable modem and the other on the first floor of the house centrally located.

Currently, I have the AE connected to the cable modem with pretty much all of the default settings. It works okay but I wanted to make use of the older TC too if possible.

I just tried putting the TC on the first floor, connecting an ethernet cable from the AE to the TC (ethernet ports for both) and tried putting the TC in bridge mode. They were both green in Airport Utility, but I had no internet access. Very confusing.

How would the experts recommend best using these two devices? Was I even close in what I tried?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions anyone can make.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Try connecting the AEBS to the TC's WAN port, not one of the LAN ports. Should work if the TC is in bridge mode.

3. Absberg2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I will try that Skorpien.

Just to clarify though, do you mean everything else the same? In other words, something like:

cable modem >>>>(wan)AEBS(lan)>>>>(wan)TC

with the TC in bridge mode?

What do you suggest for internal wireless settings for each? Use one for 5 and the other for 2.4? Would they have the same wireless network names or should they be different?

Thanks again

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Check out this thread, from post #10. you will find detailed instructions, with pictures,for setting up a hard wired "Roaming Network":

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1143865