Please help me!! :eek: Disk Utility Erased My external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Skyething, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Skyething macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Can anyone out there please help me?! I was using Disk Utility on Leopard to partition my external hard drive to create a partition for rebooting from. There was about 250 Gb of backed up files already on the disk. Anyways, I clicked apply and 2 seconds later the disk has 2 partitions and zero data- all my files have disappeared!!!

Is there any way to get those files back?? What can I do?? Please help!

Thanks for any help.

Arch*

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

For a start stop using the drive immediately. There are tons of data recovery apps available - google. It's also worth noting that disk utility always explicitly warns about what opertation is about to be performed; don't press OK before reading carefully!

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Indeed STOP using the drive right away.

It appears as though you chose to "repartition" your drive into 2 sections rather than clicking the + button at the bottom of the window and adding a second partition to the existing partition scheme.

Get Data Rescue. It's the best one I've used.
    http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

As far as your "backed up data"...if is really "backed up" that means that data exists elsewhere, so you should be good. Just because you copied it over to that drive doesn't mean its a backup, it means you just moved a copy of it to that drive. If you deleted the original data you copied over, you shot yourself a second time in the foot because it's not in two places.