Please help me figure out why my domain isn't working!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by klb028, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. klb028 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    Texas
    #1
    So, I'm in some need of serious help because this whole situation is driving me crazy.

    Basically, I bought this domain (to have as a project for the time being) and a friend of mine has a server so she offered to host it at the moment. I registered through Yahoo only because it looked reliable and easy, which is was. However, for some reason I am STILL seeing Yahoo's default page that they put on your index until you get started "building your domain." Problem is, Yahoo isn't my host obviously and I've already changed my name servers AND uploaded an index page. Why is this happening? Do I need to change something else?

    Oh, and one more thing. For whatever reason, NOW when I go to my domain, it doesn't load. It's just constantly "loading" and I don't see anything.

    I'm really desperate and I'm looking for anyone that could possibly know what's going on because I don't know what to do to fix anything or who to ask for help.
     
  2. Cromulent macrumors 603

    Cromulent

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    Location:
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    #2
    It can take up to 24 hours for DNS changes to propagate. How long ago did you change the name server?

    Are you sure your friends server is setup correctly and that you put the index.html file in the correct directory?
     
  3. zimv20 macrumors 601

    zimv20

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    Location:
    toronto
    #3
    your friend should be able to provide you with a URL to your site that does not rely on your domain (e.g. www.friendcanhost.com/~katielb). you can use that to confirm whether or not your site is set up correctly outside of DNS concerns.
     
  4. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    Texas
    #4
    I changed everything 2 days ago, and when I just tried looking at it now - it finally fixed. I guess it was an issue of domain propagation. :) I just didn't think it would take that long. Thanks so much for the replies. :)
     

Share This Page