Please help me find a decent image viewer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sunsnewmac, May 30, 2007.

1. sunsnewmac macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

I receive a lot of digital fax material for work. They are usually scanned articles or book chapters. Usually the files are in .bmp
    I cannot find a decent way to view them. Preview will only open one file at a time instead of a folder at a time, which is obviously impossible when trying to read 50 files at the same time like a "book." Xee allows me to do that but as a viewer it pretty much sucks. It renders the mouse and trackpad useless (it doesn't support trackpad scrolling, which is essential for me). If I accidentally touch the trackpad it hurls through my folder and I lose my place. Plus it won't save essential changes I make on the fly such as rotating or zooming individual files. iPhoto has good general features for my purpose (folder viewing, ability to use the trackpad) but scrolling causes the image to temporarily turn yellow. As I am reading text in .bmp format that is hard on the eyes. It saves image orientation but not zoom level. There are some other iPhoto features I don't like too. Please help me find an image viewer ideal for my needs, thanks!

2. reubs macrumors 68000

I've been looking for something, too, to view images that I don't want to import to iPhoto. I always end up back at Preview. Open a folder with all the files, hit :apple: + A and then :apple: + O, and it will open every file in one Preview window. Nevertheless, I've noticed that the images will not always open in sequential order.

I know that doesn't help, but I say it just to let you know that I've had the same problems.

3. USMaC macrumors member

USMaC

I don't know if this trick is what you're looking for, but I hope it helps. Select the files you want to view in the Finder, right (or control) click, and select slideshow. You'll get a full screen slideshow that you can let cycle through the pictures automatically, or you can control it with the onscreen controls.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

phoenix slides is the best free app u can get for osx, pity

some freeware like irfanview(W) or gThumbnail(L) is what osx now need.

5. reubs macrumors 68000

Just DLed Phoenix Slides. It looks like something that could work for me, but the UI seems to be very PC-ish. I'll play around with it a little more when I get home, and thanks for the suggestion.

6. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Looks pretty interesting- I'll definitely be giving that a try when I get home.

7. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its horrible, ppc, slow, made in 199x....

9. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

alright, i'll try some of the suggestions and post back. for the record, preview doesn't come near to doing what i need even viewing as slide show and importing a whole folder at once. I use preview for other things but not for reading the faxed documents I receive.
    Thanks
    S

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not true. ACDSee 1.6.9 was released in 2004. I prefer GraphicConverter, but ACDSee works well for browsing images.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

my apology

so is "ppc, slow" "not true" too?

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

ViewIt

For myself, I've enjoyed using ViewIt (http://www.hexcat.com/viewit/). It's shareware, but you still get all the functionality without paying, just a screen with a 5 second timer when you start it up. Definitely worth a try.

13. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

I once made an Automator workflow that converted any JPG, PNG, PDF, TIFF, GIF, or BMP dropped on it into one PDF file.

Maybe it'll help....

Attached Files:

14. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

what a nifty idea!

15. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

Actually my favorite on the PC is FastStone: it does exactly what I want but unfortunately does not have a Mac version :(

16. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

I DLd ViewIt and like it so far! I need to do more work with it to really know if it's what I need but so far so good. Thanks for the tip.

I also noticed there is a freeware version too. Have you tried that one? Is functionality decreased?

I have not much space on my MacBook's HDD so can't afford to install too many apps for experimentation.

17. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No I haven't tried the freeware version. That wasn't there when I first got the program so not sure about the differences. The web site was quite vague about the freeware version.

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You made several statements; some, dubious; others, wrong; and one, probably correct. You want the one that is probably right to make up for everything else that was wrong? OK.

19. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Pitty my a$$. Thanks for the heads up on Phoenix Slides. That is just about perfect for my needs plus it is free.

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I made statements
    1. made in 199x, wrong
    2. pcc, right
    3, slow, right
    4. horrible, Im sure I have my right for personal opinion on this one

and u used a "not true", to cover all of them? you didn't bother to make sure u didn't dispute correct statements neither, did you? is that somewhat double standard?

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Same here - FastStone's MaxView is the greatest image viewer made, PERIOD. Fast, full-screen (with no visible controls unless I move the mouse to the edges of the screen), views all of the images in a folder after opening just one (using the mousewheel or arrow keys), intuitive and fun to use zoom system, and lots of keyboard shortcuts. You simply can't beat it!!!!

I'm appalled that there aren't any apps like this for Macs, absolutely nothing compares to MaxView ...

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Can you select all of the files you want to open, and then use comand+Down arrow to open them all at once with Preview? And then just use the arrow keys to scroll through them?