Please help me find a great video camera.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Astrobaby, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Astrobaby macrumors newbie

Hi folks!

This is my first post here, so I am a bit new to things. I am looking to make a small documentary for a non-profit cause and was wondering if you guys could help me in choosing a camera that is up to the job. I have some experience using Canon and really like the products they put out. I was wondering if anyone who does a lot of video can help me with some cameras that they may think will produce really high quality footage.

Things which are very important to me:

Must shoot HD & Video Quality is very important

Must have great sound which is clear. Should I be using a dedicated microphone for recording people in the documentary? I don't know why but when I record video outdoors when it is windy I get a lot of wierd noise.

Must work well with iMovie and Final Cut Express.

Many thanks for all you help and insight into helping me to pick a great camera.

Has anyone used one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-LEGRI...TPIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298841068&sr=8-1

Many thanks - Astrobaby

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Just FYI, the camera you linked only records in SD and lacks a connector for an external microphone. Really, it's a very basic camera.

What's your budget? It's hard to recommend a camera without having a general idea of how much you're able to spend. Generally speaking, entry-level HD cameras are AVCHD format and start at around $400-500 US. Entry-level models will often lack features essential to even amateur documentary filmmakers like external mic connections. You always want to use an external mic if you care about how good your sound is.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I would definitely hire your equipment. Just plan everything, so you can do it in 2 days.

I rented a camera for the 2 weddings I did.