PLEASE help me fix my Airport Express.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soundburst, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I have two airport expresses. Up until now I've had the Wireless N version plugged into the modem, and then have that as part of a WDS network bridging to the G express upstairs.

The N one has been temperamentla and sometimes needs a reset to work - as I game wireless this means I get cut out alot.

I've decided to switch them around now.

I went into Aiport utility and simply changed the settings in each one around.

For example where the main airport was the "Main" Participate in WDS Network, I changed that to "Remote WDS Network". Where the "Remote WDS Network, I've changed to "Main WDS Network".

The end result is I get solid green lights on both (so the network is on) however in Network Settings I get "The network is connected via a self assigned IP and may not be able to connect to the internet".

I'm currently typing this wired.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Thanks guys :)

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

your main (the G unit) doesn't have an internet connection, you need to physically swap the units also, so that that the unit you have designated as the main will have an internet connection.

You'll also have to cycle power on the modem once you do the swap.

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have swapped the devices :(

I have plugged the ethernet into the current downstairs one. Made it the main in a WDS network.

I have the other airport upstairs and set as a remote.

Yet it says no IP :S
    :(

4. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had to :

"Allow setup over WAN" on my new main WDS and then select "Connect via ethernet" instead of "Off (Bridge) in that Allow setup over WAN settings.

Is this normal?

It said it affects my internet security - but it wouldn't work unticked :S

I have MAC Address filtering anyway, so I should be fine shouldn't it?