please help me fix my macbook pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnyindia, Jun 4, 2010.

1. johnnyindia macrumors member

Please look at the photos of my macbook at the flickr link below. the lcd casing cracked in one corner when it fell and since, the whole thing is coming apart...it still stays together but is getting worse and worse.

how can i fix this? i cannot afford to replace the LCD. any kind of glue that i can use that wont melt with the heat?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grandfathermusic/sets/72157624080519631/

2. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

crap!
    getting apple to fix that would cost upward of $1000.
    i have no idea if glue would do the job
    that is one really bad crack

3. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Unless you can find a new LCD frame, transfer the old LCD, and put it all back together, I can't say what can be done. Use Gorilla glue?

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I don't think there's glue that would hold that together. Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear. Maybe clamp it until you can afford a new LCD?

You can find LCDs for the classic MBPs on eBay for a fair price.

6. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Its not that bad since it looks like you did not damage the mounts on the main board.

All it would be is a new screen assembly it may be a few hundred.

Or if you are really handy replace the bezel frame.

7. Deeya macrumors member

There is a top lid and bezel on ebay for like $100 for the pair, might be able to find it cheaper if you are willing to shop around.

8. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

9. Deeya macrumors member

If your display isn't broken, you might only need the housing hardware and not the electronics.

The ones I found were for a 15", didn't know you had a 17". Might be a little more expensive, but certainly within reason.

Before you attempt repair/replacement, you might want to review a few guides and look at pics and see how much damage you have on your MBP.

Getting the parts is the easy part, taken apart the broken display without breaking anything else is the tricky part. Proceed with caution. :eek:

10. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

11. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

IM me if you want more details on the sale of my MBP It's the same model, and in excellent shape. It's my wife's and she needs a PC for work.

12. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

LOL. Agreed with this

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Superglue will crust and deteriorate very quickly over time. It's good for a quick fix, but is not good for components that would be susceptible to stress.

14. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

anyone have a link to buy just the "housing"? even if its a 15 inch a link will help me understand what you mean by this.

15. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

so i am going to buy this and replace it myself

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-MacBook-P...s_Apple_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c12cc1d0b

while i am at it i am thinking of replacing the harddrive as well to get a 500 gig as mine now is only 100gigs.

this is about a $500 investment, but it seems worth it than buying a brand new one considering i dont need more processing power or ram or anything else.

does anyone think this is a bad idea, as the computer is 4 years old? i have an imac for my home computing, so im not totally reliant on the laptop, just need it for travel, and going back and forth from work, etc.

16. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would say that is definitely a good plan, if you don't need to upgrade, there really is no reason to.

17. advres Guest

advres

Stick some gum in there and push that ish together.

18. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

you think superglue would be a temporary fix for the next few weeks until i get the new screen?

also, does that screen from ebay look legitimate? will it be easy enough to install?

19. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Cheap way to fix this would be to get some sheet aluminum and some flat head screws. The Flat head screws would be flush once screwed in and sheet aluminum would be placed on the backside of the bezel. You would probably also need a drill to start the holes where the screws would be placed. It would tedious and may not be the most appealing fix based on the fact of the exposed screw head, but it's cheaper than $500.
    Personally if you intend to keep it, get the assembly off eBay. Your time and frustration are not worth it to be opening up the display.

20. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

with new screen and upgraded HD do you think this computer can last a couple more years, or will it burn out? i bought it in 2006 right when core 2 duo came out.

also, my headphones jack is fickle and it is hard to keep headphones in and get sound. is there a way to fix this or replace the headphone jack?

21. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I would strongly suggest that you stay away from any sort of adhesive. I would hate to see that you accidentally damaged it more. It just sounds like a bad idea.

22. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

advice on the soundcard issue and the life of the computer in general if i put money in to fix it...thanks

23. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

If your computer is 4 years old then that is a terrible idea, because you're buying a display assembly with a different LCD than the one you have. It won't work.

In the case that this occurs, my experience is as follows.

Let cost of your laptop sold in current condition be X.

Let cost of another laptop with same specs on the used market be Y.

Let cost of repair to your machine be Z. In Z, I am factoring in that your time is worth something, in addition to the part costs. This is a real pain in the ass to do on this model the way they align everything. Especially if you buy an assembly where you're trying to transfer webcam electronics.

Y - X < Z

making repair not worthwhile compared to the idea of selling your machine as is, and buying a used one in similar condition.

24. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

all i need out of my laptop is portable internet and note taking functions.

maybe i should just get an ipad!

my imac will be my main computer hub though i travel a lot so i like t have a computer with me to check email, update my band's website, and listen to music/watch movies.

im not too concerend with things like webcam, etc....the screen now is non-functional in that if i dont hold it up, it falls apart...i just want it to be fixed so that i ca use it for internet, etc.

25. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

used superglue and its holding up well. not sure yet if the heat will melt the glue, but i'm going to leave my laptop on for a while and see how it holds up.