please help me fix my mail!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psywzrd, Jun 25, 2009.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I had my 3G set up so that my gmail was forwarded to my .me email address and then pushed to my iphone. I also had it set it so that the outgoing mail server was set to gmail's smtp server (that way when I replied to an email or created a new email, it came from my gmail address). Now that I have my 3GS I thought I had it set up the same way but all of my emails (replies or new emails) are coming from my .me email address (the gmail forwarding to my .me address is working fine). Am I missing a setting somewhere? The only mail account I have set up on my iphone is my .me account and the outgoing mail server is set to smtp.gmail.com. Do I need to set up my gmail account as a mail account in order for this to work? I don't recall having to do that on my 3G but maybe I'm wrong. I just want it set up so that whenever I create a new email (or reply to an email), it comes from my gmail.

2. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok - I figured this out on my own but I still have a couple of questions. The first is how do I make the smtp.gmail.com server the primary outgoing server for the .me account? The smtp.me.com server is set as the primary and I have it set to off. Is there any way to make the gmail smtp server the primary? Also, under Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendars, is there any way to set the Default Account to my gmail account even though I have my gmail account turned off?

3. w3cum macrumors regular

I think this is what you are trying to do. I saved the info because I know at some point I will screw up my mail and have to redo all this. Hope it helps

There is a way to do what you want: It's a bit messy to set up but once you're up and running it's pretty smooth.

What you need
    A MobileMe Account
    Your Corporate Account
    A GMail Account (probably easiest to set a new one up just for this)

What you do
    1) In your GMail account, add an additional "send mail as" address which is your corporate e-mail address (under settings / accounts). Confirm that you own this address by clicking on the link that will be sent and then go back into settings and make this account the default. Set the "Always reply from default address" radio button

2) On the iPhone, go into Mail settings, then Account Info for your MobileMe account

3) Go into SMTP

4) Go to Add Server and enter the following details:
    Host Name: smtp.gmail.com
    User Name: Your Gmail account setup earlier
    Password: Password for the Gmail account

Once you've added this, go into the primary server (smtp.me.com) and turn it OFF. Go into the GMail server you've just added and turn it ON

That should be all you need to do. Now, when you send an email from your mobileme account it will actually go through GMail's SMTP Server (and will appear in the sent items on that account as well as your MobileMe account) where it will be altered to have the From address that you specified when setting up your GMail account.

how does it work?
    GMail has a very useful feature that allows you to send as an alternative e-mail address (as long as you can confirm you can collect mail to that address). You can also set it up to always send mail as if it's from that address whenever you use the account. What these changes do is set Gmail up so it does that and then use the Gmail SMTP server for sending mail instead of the MobileMe one.
    When GMail sees the incoming mail your login associates it with your account, and the settings to always send as the alternative address kick in with the result that the mail is sent to the recipient with a sender of your corporate e-mail address.

4. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

That's actually not quite what I wanted to do (I don't have a corporate account) but that's ok because I figured out my problem. Thank you anyway though.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole "Default Account" thing on my iphone though. I don't see any way to set my gmail as the default account unless I enable that account on the phone; however, I don't want to do that because I'm already forwarding my gmail to my .me address (I don't need to get each email twice). I don't even recall if that "Default Account" setting was there "pre-3.0". Does anyone know? It says "Messages created outside of Mail will be sent from the default account".

5. cobalt135 macrumors regular

You can choose a default account if you have more than one active account on the iPhone. New mail will have this default account in the sender field, or you can tap it to select which account you want to send as. If an app has the ability to send mail it will automagically send it as your default account. Again, you need to have more than one mail account setup on the iPhone for this functionality.

6. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

So how can I set it up so that my gmail address is my default account outside of Mail? (I already have it set it up as the default within Mail). I don't want to enable my gmail account since I only added it so that I could use smtp.gmail.com as my outgoing mail server). Is there a way I could enable the gmail account but make it so that it doesn't actually receive email?

7. vespoli macrumors member

This is incorrect. While you can set a default account, it only applies to e-mails crafted from outside of the Mail program -- forwarding an article from the NYTimes app, for example.

Otherwise, Mail defaults the from address to whatever account you are currently navigating. I am also interested in a solution, but I don't think that the above answer posted by cobalt is viable.

8. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you recall if the "Default Account" option was even around pre-3.0? I don't remember if it was.