Please help me fix this "security" feature

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by broadcast, Oct 23, 2011.

1. broadcast, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

broadcast macrumors member

Every time I try to open a photo I downloaded, a message will come up saying:

example.jpg is an application downloaded from the internet. Are you sure you want to open it?

I'm trying to go through nearly a hundred photos, and it won't let me open all of them. It will ask me individually for each JPG I'm trying to look at.

I did some research and the only way to get around this is completely disabling this feature... which means it won't warn me before I open apps I have downloaded; leaving my computer at risk.

Please someone tell me there is a solution to this. I'm about to rip my hair out, a JPG is not a bloody application!

Edit: See post #5

2. broadcast thread starter macrumors member

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This version, you don't need to. It only removes the flags from the files in that folder. Once you download a new file, it will ask for that new file.

4. broadcast, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

broadcast thread starter macrumors member

I'll give it a try, but I'm not comfortable with doing it :(

This was never a problem with SL, and now it's really bugging me that Lion thinks JPGs are applications.

----------

Alright maybe someone can help me out with this next problem. I think I'll remove the message on a per application basis, so this message will never come up in Preview. As long as it warns me for other applications I download online, I'm fine with that. The link on osxdaily says

Code:
    xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine /Path/to/application/
    When I try this with /Applications/Preview.app, it says permission denied. Anyone have any ideas?

5. broadcast thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the triple post, but I have found a work around. I'm sure there are other people out there who are having the same problem so maybe this will be helpful to you:

If you drag the folder of photos or (whatever else is giving you trouble) into the Preview icon in your dock, Preview will open them just fine. No error messages, nothing.

Alternatively, you can go into Preview, and open it the tedious way. File --> Open --> Select Folder

I seriously do not understand why Preview will open it up like this, but not by simply clicking the photos in Finder. I'm hoping Apple addresses this issue in the 10.7.3. For now, I guess I'll have to do it like this.

*fingers crossed*

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You don't apply it to the app you want to open the files with; you apply it to the "application" you downloaded.

So, if the jpg files are in your downloads folder, it would follow the second example.

7. broadcast thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately this only works with the folders you apply the command to. Once I move those folders into other folders, I'll have to do this again. And I'm a guy who likes to organize his stuff in a lot of folders.

Honestly, I'm getting more and more frustrated with Lion each day. This isn't a security feature, it's an annoyance that Apple made fun of in their own commercials.