Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2017
Hello,

In preparation of selling a 2008 Mac Pro (with 3gb flashed video card) I was trying to wipe it clean and put a fresh install of the OS on the computer. I couldn't figure out how to do this by following the common instructions online and missing the good old days of popping in a disk.

I can't remember exactly what OS it was on but I had the current FCPX, Motion etc working great.

I formatted the SSD properly and kept getting the error that the service was temporarily unavailable with the recovery mode and trying to install "Sierra".

So I plugged in the SSD to my MacBook Pro and re formatted and even reinstalled Sierra there. That didn't agree with the Mac Pro so I reformatted again and tried the recovery mode on the Mac Pro again and that no longer worked. I just kept getting a circle with a line through it. After much cursing I suspected that my flashed 3GB video card may be the problem. So I put in the old 7300 and now nothing. I can't even get the circle and line back on the screen. Granted I changed the cable now and also the card. More cursing!

Any advice on where to start this process will be helpful before I smash to bits.

Many Thanks for reading,

Matt

Filin

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
Ukraine
1. 2008 MacPro does not support Sierra (without modification)
2. You need to download 10.11 to your MacBook and make bootable usb flash drive. Use this usb drive to install clean system on your MacPro

matyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2017
1. 2008 MacPro does not support Sierra (without modification)
2. You need to download 10.11 to your MacBook and make bootable usb flash drive. Use this usb drive to install clean system on your MacPro
Thank you, Thank you! I am downloading 10.11.4 now to see if I can get this going.
[doublepost=1490042393][/doublepost]The El Capitan version I downloaded seems to be good but it gives an error that it is too old to be opened on this computer.

Filin

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
Ukraine
Last edited:

matyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2017
I got it sorted. I used an older Mac that was still on El Capitan to install the external bootable OS.
Many Thanks for your help!

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.