Please help me, I can't enable a root user.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xdfung, Jul 20, 2010.

1. xdfung macrumors newbie

I decided to change my home directory name. I have read some articles about how to do that, they said I have to first enable a root account.

I have followed the steps, I went into "Directory Utility", but why there's something inside there? They are : Active Directory, BSD, LDAPv3, Local. \I saw pictures on the internet don't have anything inside! Besides, I couldn't find the "edit" button.
    [​IMG]
    Please help me!
    Sorry that I am from Hong Kong:D
    :confused:
    :apple:

2. tooz macrumors 6502

How new is the account?

If it's relatively new, It is probably easier (and safer) to create a new account, with the correct short name, and simply copy across any files.

It is actually REALLY DANGEROUS to rename your home folder, as all sorts of programs get confused i.e. iTunes, iPhoto, etc. It can actually lead to data loss.

3. xdfung thread starter macrumors newbie

Would OS automatically creates a new home folder for my new account? If yes, how can I copy files from one account to another?

4. xdfung thread starter macrumors newbie

Friend, you said it right.;) Renaming the home folder isn't that DANGEROUS/SERIOUS. But could anyone tell my why there are things inside the Directory Utility?

5. tooz macrumors 6502

Yes. Go System prefs -> Accounts and create a new administrative account.
    then, head to Macintosh HD/users and you will see your new username folder and Old username folder. copy/paste files from old to new.

Let me give you an example of what can happen:
    itunes stores a database of your music. That database tells iTunes where all the music is, e.g. Brian/Music/itunes/itunesLibrary.

If we change the Home Directory name from "Brian" to "Murphy", Itunes is still going to go looking for Brian/Music/itunes/itunesLibrary, while the music is now in Murphy/Music/itunes/itunesLibrary. Itunes will through up its hands and you won't be able to play any music

The Directory Utility is for system administrators, (Like the IT guy's boss at work) to make ADVANCED changes to users, network settings and the alike.
    It is one of those things that you really should leave alone. do anything wrong, and it can crash your system PREMARITALLY. 95% of Macrumors would have no need for Directory utility, Terminal, Console, or any of those advanced tools, myself included.

So either stick with the Home folder name you have now, or create a new account with the correct short name (home folder name)

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

But to actually answer your question:

Click the lock symbol in the bottom left hand side of that window, and enter your password (the option won't be available until you've authenticated).

Go up to the Edit menu, and click Enable Root User. It will ask you for a password. Pick a good one.

When you're done, btw, make sure to repeat the process to Disable the Root User to remove the security risks.

jW

7. xdfung thread starter macrumors newbie

But the problem is I cannot see any edit menu at all...

8. xdfung thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh My Goodness! I'm suck...:p I know now, Thx for all of you!:)