Please Help me in this dilema...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sdahe, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello guys... Here is my dilema

I actually have a MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz with 2GB SDRAM and I want to have something more comfortable to work at home.

I have $1,800 to invest in these two options... Get a 24" iMac or make some upgrades to my MBP (4GB of RAM, new hard disk with 7,200rpm with 320GB space) and the new 24" cinema display.

Now I have a question about the second option... My MBP come with a GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of RAM. Would this video card be ok with the 24" cinema display?

Another thing is... would it make that much of a difference 7,200rpm hard disk from the 5,400rpm that my MBP came with?

Thank you guys for your comments to help me decide...

:)

2. andtwo macrumors newbie

I think you should be fine. I have a 15" MBP running on ATI Radeon X1600 256mb and I am using an external 24" monitor without a problem.

3. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

And it's very smooth right?...

4. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Here is the information of my video card... looks different from the new MBP

[​IMG]

5. andtwo macrumors newbie

Not a problem. I even run WoW on the external and it works fine! I have watched movies on the external as well, no problem. So I think day to day operations shouldn't give you any problems. I haven't done much graphic renderings though so if you do work on that I am not sure. Right now I made the external working as my main, and the MBP's screen as a secondary. Works without a hiccup.

Oh when running WoW, I do have to make the screen size smaller than the full 1440x900 as the frame rates become choppy if I try to run it at too high of a resolution.

6. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Now I see that there is a new cinema display coming soon....

7. andtwo macrumors newbie

Yeah the new cinema display looks like the iMacs. And the good thing i think is that it has that all-in-one cable to connect to the to the MacBooks or MBPs so you don't messy cables running all over the place. You probably won't be able to use that cable with your MBP.

8. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I need it to work with photography and graphic arts... Photoshop and Illustrator... I think I would be OK!!!

Do you use another keyboard?

9. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

The all-in-one cable only has mini-displayport, so no, it will not be compatible with any machine other than the newest MB and 15" MBP. There are so-far no DVI->MDP adapters, and likely won't be for a little while.

I would recommend the 23" ACD rather than waiting for the new 24". It will serve you better purpose. Also, make sure you have a keyboard and mouse, so you can run in clamshell if you want.

10. andtwo macrumors newbie

Yes i use an external keyboard.

11. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Sorry to ask but when you say run in clamshell... you mean I can close the notebook and it won't to sleep mode if I connect a keyboard and mouse to the 23" monitor?...

That's to bad... That cinema display was very nice looking.