Please Help Me Install XviD video codec to play movie files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacConvert2007, Apr 22, 2008.

1. MacConvert2007 macrumors member

May 23, 2007
    Hello all,
    I have a 2007 Macbook running Tiger 10.4.11.

I'm trying to install the equivalent of the XviD codec to allow Quicktime to play movies in that format. There are instructions for this here:

As per the instructions, I already have quicktime, and have installed the DivX codec. I also have the file XVIDDelegateMacOSX.sit downloaded, but I'm not sure where to put it (or if I need to double click it).

I'm supposed to put it in the /Library/QuickTime directory and reboot. But that directory doesn't exist. I've never messed with Mac software on this level before, so I need some help, and don't want to guess.

2. wordy macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2008
    Are you just looking to play xvid or are you encoding also?

If you're just looking to play them, the easiest way is to use Perian:

Perian allows you to play a whole host of file formats (including xvid of course) in QT.
  3. MariaBeluga macrumors newbie

May 6, 2008
    exact same problem!!

hi i had the exact same problem with xvid, and so i downloaded perian as you said, and i still can´t manage to watch in quicktime a torrent that i downloaded, it makes a horrible sound, and doesn´t appear anything in the screen, do you know what i`m doing wrong? or what should i do??
    thanxx in advace!!