Please help me make my iPhone 3G my MAIN PDA...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crunch, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Alright folks, I own an iPhone 3G, a Blackberry Curve 8310, and a Treo 750. Each device has its own special features and shines compared to the others. The iPhone, however, is really something special. I do miss the true push functions of the Blackberry, though, and I'm also somewhat of a fan of Windows Mobile. (Please don't hold that against me. ;) )

Microsoft is in the process of copying certain parts of the iPhone for when Windows Mobile 7 comes out in 2009.

When they all come out, I will have the Treo Pro (formerly 850) as my Windows Mobile device to upgrade my Treo 750. The Blackberry Bold will replace my Curve, and the Sony Xperia X1 looks like it will rock. The specs are just amazing.

I'm not a fanboy of any one device. I'm a fanboy of high-end PDA's, and AT&T, which I've had for coming up on 10 years. ;)

That said, I have not yet fully explored what the iPhone 3G can do. And by that I mean Jailbreak! A hardcore Mac buddy of mine has all of his 16GB's LOADED full of amazing applications, including the tethering app, the spoof app, and he even has the AT&T logo with the blue globe, as well as "at&t" in small letters. I am a sucker for stuff like that.

The glass screen is just amazing, and it took me all of a few hours to get used to my first "all touchscreen" device. The high resolution is a must for me. I can't stand the 240x240 resolution on my Treo 750, so the Treo Pro will take care of that. I also found a way to unlock the iPhone with a special SIM card I ordered from Germany. They guarantee their products, and I can see why. It just works! So I ordered 5 more to supply all of my friends with iPhones. The SIM is even upgradable for future firmware updates, "or your money back". That's pretty solid. It seems that's the only way to unlock the AT&T version of the iPhone 3G, since the lock is hardware implemented, compared to the original iPhone where it was easier.

MobileMe: I refuse to pay the $100 for the mobileme subscription out of general principle. And I miss the true Push of the BB's. I found that izymail works well for my Windows Live account, but they also want $20, as they put all kinds of restrictions on the free version. I don't mind paying those $20, so that it's usable. But it still doesn't seem to really push the emails to my iPhone, which is a feature I've simply gotten used to. However, I may not completely comprehend how the Push feature works on the iPhone. I would probably have to use Microsoft Exchange for that.

Is there a viable alternative to izymail that actually does push all of my email accounts (not just my mobileme email) to my iPhone??

Do any of you use Microsoft Exchange on your iPhone? What Exchange service do you recommend?

Another thing I'm missing is a good IM client. The AIM app works, sort of. But when you exit the application, it logs me off, even though I configured it NOT to do that in Settings. BeeJiveIM will have an iPhone app pretty soon, which will resolve that, but in the meantime, I'm forced back on my BB for that, too.

I want to make my iPhone my MAIN phone. But there are still too many dropped calls, poor hand-off's between 3G and 2G. I sometimes force it on EDGE when I'm on an important call, and when I can't afford any interruptions. I shouldn't have to that.

Firmware: It's funny. When I ran 2.0.1, my iPhone actually performed NOTICEABLY better than with 2.0.2. I wish I could go back to 2.0.1.

2.1 is in beta right now according to a friend who works for Apple. He doesn't know as to when it will come out. Additional GPS functionalities are apparently going to be a big part of the new firmware. Does anyone know when it might drop? TeleNav is also working on a turn-by-turn GPS application. This will be a welcome addition.

Finally, Jailbreak. Do most of you have your iPhones jailbroken? What do you see as the main benefit of doing so?

Sorry for the long post. I am hoping to get some answers, which will be greatly appreciated. :)

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

do you also carry a video camera, a scanner and a printer???
    Where you left your video projector???

3. stevenmatyas macrumors newbie

did you buy the sim unlock product online? if so, please provide a link or a name of the company.

4. Eric. macrumors regular

Haha...I was thinking the same thing. Why on earth do you need three PDAs? Do you have a row of them on your belt or something?

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

And an iPod for his slow jams!

6. Eric. macrumors regular

32GB Touch for videos
    160GB Classic for music
    and 80GB Classic for photos?

You know, in case he needs to do any of those simultaneously.

7. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

Folks, jealousy will get you nowhere. lol...I only carry once at a time...DUUUH!

So is anyone going to help me with this or not?