Please help me out....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snf122, Jun 24, 2008.

1. snf122 macrumors newbie

I don't have any idea what makes Montevina so much better, so could you guys tell me?

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Have you tried doing a search here or Google?

3. snf122 thread starter macrumors newbie

So a ton of people are waiting out just for a processor that is faster?

If that is the case, then what is the big deal? Isn't the MBP fast as it is?

It doesn't seem like that alone is a huge reason to wait for one

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Greed. Greed makes anything you don't have better than everything you do.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Not only that, they are also waiting on the processor AFTER Montevina.

Bigger, better, and faster. It is never ending.

6. snf122 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that's what I figured. So people are eagerly waiting for this processor that will most likely be quicker, but these people won't even be able to notice the difference in speed unless they are doing a ton of photo/video editing etc.

It makes no sense to me, when you could buy one now that is as fast as you need. But, whatever floats their boat.

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I totally agree. And, I also bet that 90% of them NEVER use their laptop for anything more than surfing the web, and sending emails. Maybe a Word document now and then.

8. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Montevina isn't a processor, it's the replacement for the Santa Rosa platform and supports Penryn and the hopefully-soon-to-be-released Nehalem processors. The main advantages over Santa Rosa are a faster FSB, the X4500 integrated graphics, which would benefit lower-end Macs like the MacBook and very hopefully the Mini, support for DDR3 RAM, and support for Display Port.

The next CPU from Intel will be Nehalem, which is an entirely new architecture. Nehalem will initially be put on Montevina, but it won't really shine until it sees the Capella platform some time in 2009. Some people are likely waiting for that combination because of the potentially large performance improvements it offers - for instance, the FSB replaced by QuickPath, better integrated graphics, and 4-core mobile chips that might find their way into the iMac or even the MacBook Pro.

9. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Many people (though they'll deny it) like the latest fashion accessories. But hey, as you said, whatever floats their boat. :D

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Most people want something they think will be latest for 6 months... I say buy when you need it, not based on some ridiculous release schedule. Sure I'd understand if this was a car which is update once every 5/6 years, but a computer?

Like it's been said, it's about greed and want for speed 90% of buyers won't need.

11. cg165 macrumors regular

I personally am waiting for this next update, but not for the processor. I don't really care about that. There will be other updates as well, such as a video card update and support for DDR3 RAM and with the new chipset will have a longer battery life. But mostly I believe in buying at an update rather than right before it due to apple's pricing. The current base MBP is $2k, and when they release the upcoming MBP supposedly soon it (usually) stays the same price. So in my opinion you get a better value by buying at the update rather than right before one. I've noticed other computer companies lower prices as hardware has been out for a while or add new stuff, but apple seems to keep it the same exact price. Maybe it is worth the price right when it comes out, but just like a car it loses value as it has been out for a while. This is all just my opinion...I plan on buying at the update and then probably not again for 5-6 years so a possible 1-2 month wait won't kill me but I only say this because my old computer still works and it's not a necessity for me.