Please help me out!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Kosherdyl, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Kosherdyl macrumors newbie

Ok so i just upgraded to 3.1.3 which i know ppl will say u cant do it now or w/e but yea... so I want to kno if i should Jailbreak my ipod touch. It is the one w/ the speakers.. so i think 2nd gen..?
    1) Can the programs recive info like your itunes acc and password?
    2) can anything go wrong that you can fix w/ a simple restore?
    3) is it illegal?
    4) is it worth it considering all i really want are themes and the ability to customize?

Thanks in advance

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I don't know much about the new firmware, but you can always put it in DFU mode if anything goes wrong. Just try jailbreaking it without setting up your ipod the way you want (it'll save you some time).

3. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

1) Theoretically it would be possible if you added an untrusted source; in practice, as long as you stick to the default sources in Cydia you should be fine.
    2) A restore will fix any problems you encounter. In the absolute worst case, you might have to do a DFU restore.
    3) It is not illegal. It will technically void your warranty, but if you do a restore and set up as a new device, it removes all traces of jailbreaking from your system, so nobody will be able to tell.
    4) Depends on how badly you want themes. Personally I don't care much for them, but I find apps like SBSettings and iFile to be completely worth jailbreaking. Do you really want to take a hit in battery life and (possibly be stuck with a tethered jailbreak, depending on your model) just so you can have wallpaper and cool icons? I don't ask this to be snarky; it's the actual question you have to answer for yourself.

5) This could be completely a moot point in your case since you already upgraded to 3.1.3.

When people say "you cant do it now or w/e but yea", THIS IS IMPORTANT. THERE IS A REASON THEY ARE SAYING THIS, AND IT IS NOT JUST TO BE MEAN. They're explaining patiently that you will possibly not be able to jailbreak for the forseeable future, and trying to do it could quite easily just end up with you having to restore your iPod.

It is POSSIBLE that you would still be able to jailbreak on 3.1.3, but to be quite honest with you, if you don't already know exactly which model Touch you have, it does not bode well for your jailbreaking efforts. "the one w/ the speakers.. so i think 2nd gen..?" is not specific enough. When did you get your iPod? What capacity is it? What is the model number? What kind of earbuds did it come with? Does it support VoiceOver? These are all clues that will tell you which model your Touch is. IF you DO have a 2nd gen Touch, then you MAY be able to use a (new version of) redsn0w to jailbreak. If you have an 8 GB model, then things get even more complicated.

Don't even try blackra1n.

I don't say this to be mean, but to explain that the more you know about every aspect of this process, the less likely you are to encounter problems.

4. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Jailbreaking will void your warranty, but if you take it back to an apple store because you have jailbroken it, they will fix it and restore its firmware, they wont ask about it, just do it. The only thing you cant do is send it back to apple if it is jailbroken. so unjailbreak and restore firmware if you ever have to send it back

:apple:Mike out

5. Kosherdyl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...
    Tethered? ive heard of this and untethered. whats the diffrence?
    Im not looking at all for the free apps really just customize and maybe some cool extra features that you can only get w/ it. Btw is apple ever going to release backrounds like winterboard?

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

A tethered jailbreak means that any time you reboot or power down your iPod (not just lock, but actually turn all the way off and then on again), you have to connect it to a computer and re-run a jailbreaking application to boot it up again. Not a huge hassle unless you regularly run your battery down all the way and don't have regular access to a computer. And if you have a 2G Touch, it won't even apply to you; it's only the 3G (including the 8 GB model which is otherwise identical to the 2G 8 GB model) Touch that has to worry about it. If you're interested in the technical details, there's a great thread on these forums explaining.

First off, good for you for not looking to get paid apps for free :)

Possibly the best "extra feature" you can get is SBSettings; it allows you to do things like turn Wifi on/off, change the brightness, and kill processes without leaving whatever you're currently doing. You can also do things like running apps in the background and switch among them, have five icons in each row of your home screen, and other miscellaneous stuff that Apple isn't too keen on (NES and GameBoy emulators, for example).