Please help me pick second display for a new MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kimipt, Apr 15, 2009.

1. kimipt macrumors newbie

I have to make a quick decision on this. Searched the forum but cant come to a conclusion.

I currently have a Dell 2007FP and this week i'll buy a second monitor for my new MacPro. My options are:

Dell 2007FP (just like the old one)
    Dell 2009W
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...d&cs=04&sku=320-6523&~lt=popup&~ck=TopSellers

The second one seems to be similar, but with a wide aspect ration (lower vertical resolution). The first one (equal to my old one) is more expensive but seems to have lower specs at least on contrast ration and response time.

Im by no means versed on this topic so could you please help me make a wise decision here?

Thanks,
    Luís

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Your old display has an S-IPS panel which is better quality. If you can afford it I'd add another the same as you know what you are getting. Some people also don't like to have displays that don't align or look similar.

3. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

If you can find the older Dell anywhere, I'd second that recommendation. I also have a NEC 20WMGX2 (also an S-IPS panel based display) and it blows away every single TN-based panel I've ever used and, if I had another $500 to blow and I could find one, I'd grab another NEC. Unfortunately the NEC displays are no longer in production :(. The only problem with the Dell is it's a crapshoot. Some of them have a S-IPS Philips panel and some have a S-PVA Samsung panel. The S-IPS is the best but the S-PVA is still better than most TN panels.

As for the specs, that 2000:1 contrast ratio is pure ********; most LCDs can barely hit a 800:1 static contrast ratio (the one that really matters, Wikipedia to the rescue!); the "dynamic" basically means that they drop the backlight power if it's a dark scene so you really only get the full effect in a dark room. As for the response times, since it's a TN panel it will be faster but TN panels are inferior in every other way to S-IPS based panels (like your old display). If you aren't noticing any ghosting on your current display you can probably safely ignore the response times; it doesn't help that manufacturers usually tweak those like the tweak they contrast ratios.

4. kimipt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Hi again,

Thank you so much for you help. :)

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

If it were me I would want to have two identical monitors. So I guess get the same as you have now. Or sell it and buy two others.