Please help me restore my iPhone 6 backup!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by meljc2001, Jan 18, 2016.

1. meljc2001, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

meljc2001 macrumors newbie

meljc2001

Please help... And forgive me in advance if someone's already posted this (…and kindly please direct me towards that thread). I've Googled and Googled to no avail and I'm hoping you guys can help…

- Had an iPhone 6. Backed it up via iTunes.
    - Purchased an iPhone 6s.
    - Brought the iPhone 6s home and attempt to restore backup from iPhone 6.
    - Get an error message saying that I need a newer version of iTunes. Cool.
    - Try to install latest version of iTunes; cannot because I have an Early 2008 Macbook.
    - Call Apple; stay on the phone for hours. Backup is in my iTunes and apparently, is encrypted (…I definitely did not do that). He concludes: I just need to buy a new computer.
    - Go to see a Genius in the Apple store; he determines the specs of my computer meet the minimum requirements for OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 (I'm currently at 10.7.5 FYI).
    - I buy Mountain Lion; try to download it; get an error message saying Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer.
    - Now on the phone with Apple being reimbursed for Mountain Lion…

So where does this leave me?? I know I couldn't possibly be the only person going through this! In fact, I found others on other forums but nothing was resolved.

Please help!!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I don't know who you spoke with at the Apple Store but an early 2008 MacBook can not be updated any further than Lion (OS X 10.7.5) which means you're stuck with an older version of iTunes. Other forums will tell you the same thing. Either buy a newer MacBook or MacBook Pro so you can download and install the latest iTunes. That will allow you to restore your backup to the new 6s. Perhaps someone else has a work around they can suggest.