Please help me select a MBP; what would you do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rjdoc74, Jul 23, 2012.

1. rjdoc74 macrumors member

Aug 30, 2009
    Hello everyone, good information on this forum.

I consider myself a light user. I mostly do word processing, email, web browsing, Netflix, light family picture editing and storage. No gaming, no graphics intesive tasks, etc. About a year ago I purchased a late 13 inch 2011 MBP (FD313LL). I do find that it's a great machine, but occasionally I find myself wanting a fatser machine (I still have stock 4 GB of ram though). Now, I was offered a very good price for my current MBP a few days ago and I am seriously thinking about selling it. I do want to replace it with a refurb MBP and the only think I want is for the repalcement to be faster. What would you guys recommend?

I am trying to decide between these:

What do you guys recommend?
  2. spblat macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2010
    Seems like FD314LL is a clear winner. Faster is better, right?

Unless you get an Air. for a light user that values portability that might be a better option.
  3. InuNacho macrumors 65816

Apr 24, 2008
    In that one place
    Bump up the ram to 8GB and slap in a SSD and you're fine. No need to buy something if you can upgrade it and save cash.
  4. ANTONkoolaid macrumors member

Jul 22, 2012
    In complete agreement with this.
  5. rjdoc74 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 30, 2009
    I agree, under normal curcumstances I would keep my current MBP for several years. But now I have a chance to sell it for price I bought it for (bought refurbished) and get a brand new (or refurbished) machine! I do like getting new stuff.
  6. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2007
    In that case I would get either the last one on your list (which is what I just bought) or the new base 2012 13" MBP. Either one, upgrade to 8GB RAM minimum or your experience will be pretty much the same.
  7. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Jul 25, 2011
    I'd go for the last one in your list (October 2011 2.2 GHZ 15'' MBP). You'll notice a pretty significant speed bump on this machine, and it's extremely new- only one current generation old. Basically a brand new machine compared to the market. Throw in a SSD and possibly upgrade the RAM (cheap- maybe $50) and you'll have a solid machine.
  8. rjdoc74 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 30, 2009

What's the difference hardware-wise between October 2011 13" MBP vs 2012 13" MBP?