Please help me solve this MPlayer (media-player) problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HalleluYAH, Aug 14, 2007.

1. HalleluYAH macrumors newbie

Would any of you please tell me (step by step) how to make the subtitles play along with the video-file that is supposed to play alongside the subtitles?

I got a video-file (filename: vmt-tears-xvid.avi) with a "subtitles-file" (filename: vmt-tears-xvid.sub).
    Each of those files are pictured below:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I need to get both of those files to work within the MPlayer program. I've been able to get that video to play, but the subtitles-file hasn't worked in MPlayer, so far.

I've tried dragging and dropping the subtitles-file into MPlayer, and I've double-clicked that file, but none of those methods make MPlayer actually play the subtitles with the video (pictured below) that came with it:

[​IMG]

Would any of you please tell me how to get them (the video & subtitles) to work together, simultaneously?

2. Willie Sippel macrumors newbie

The OS X user interface isn't done, yet, so some features (like subtitles) seem to be missing. You should be able to open a video with a subtitle using the command line, but I've only done this on Linux so far. Should work on OS X, too, I think: You need the mplayer binary in $PATH (so that the command is available everywhere), and issue this command:

Code:
    mplayer vmt-tears-xvid.avi -sub vmt-tears-xvid.sub

3. HalleluYAH thread starter macrumors newbie

Willie Sippel, I appreciate your advice.
    I don't know exactly how to do that with command line. Would you or anyone else, who knows how to use the command line please tell me exactly what I need to do (step by step) to make that subtitles-file (filename: vmt-tears-xvid.sub) work with that video-file (filename: vmt-tears-xvid.avi) in the binary-version of mplayer.

4. HalleluYAH thread starter macrumors newbie