Please help me spec out the harddrive/backup solution for my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thetoness, Feb 14, 2008.

1. thetoness macrumors member

Hi am ready to pull the trigger and order a 3ghz with 2gb ram and stock 320gb hard drive which I would use for Photoshop/lightroom and some game play.
    I will upgrade to 16gb of ram (8x2) but I am not sure what hard drive configuration would be best for me. I would probably use the 320gb apple hard drive for boot camp. What other drives would you suggest? Should I get a raptor or barracuda for my boot drive. What other drives should I also have particularly for my photos. Not sure if RAID is necessary but I will like to hear your advice on that also. As for a backup solution, I have been reading about Drobo and it seems like a perfect solution to attach to my AEBS but as you know AEBS wont permit NAS. Hopefully this will be rectified with the a new firmware revision when Time capsule is released. Barring that, what backup solution would you recommend? I am relatively new to the world of Macs, although I do own a 20" iMac.
    Thanks for your help

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

To be honest, I'm not really sure the raptor is the fastest drive around anymore, despite its 10K RPM spindle speeds.

It probably wins out in random-read, small-file situations, but other than that newer, bigger drives seem to win.

The Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB drive seems to be the fastest in most instances, checking here http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html

Basically you get speed and size in one.