Please Help Me! - spotlight keeps quitting unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fearlessphil, Oct 31, 2008.

1. fearlessphil macrumors newbie

i'm using leopard on my macbook and the spotlight keeps quitting unexpectedly. the message appears every ten seconds and the options have no effect which are 'ignore, report, relaunch'.

please,please,please help. as i lost my re-install cds when moving house and not sure what to do.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What version of Leopard are you using?

Have you checked to see if you are running the latest verison?

If not try applying the updates but if you are I would suggest reapplying the latest combo update (hefty download though at 601mb). If you live near an apple store you could ask them to download it for you.

3. fearlessphil thread starter macrumors newbie

im running 10.5.5 version of leopard which i think is the latest one. im also downloading the file from the link you left with about 5 mins remaining and hope it works. i let you know of what happens and would like to say thank you

4. fearlessphil thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, so i installed the combo update and it did the opposite. the macbook shut down and wouldn't boot up, even in safe mode, so i had to check the system through single user mode.....which took forever. anyway, the spotlight continues to quit unexpectedly and also i discovered that the reason for this spotlight nuisance is because of a quicktime update which was installed not to long ago and so am trying to roll back the softwares somehow. another thing i have noticed is the operating system has create a new folder in my hard drive called ' lost and found' with 3 folders, 26442, 26443 and 64386 which i don't have a clue what these are for or mean. furthermore i can't seem to repair the disk, through disk utilities....i think my macbook is some how messed, but don't know how it got like this.

5. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Well, have you repaired your permissions? Also, the lost and found folder reminds me a usb stick i have that has a folder called like that. Do you have a swissbit stick?

Also, to repair your hard drive through disk utility you need to insert the grey disk that came with your MB.