Please help me to rescue info from broken HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by panchoskywalker, Jul 26, 2015.

1. panchoskywalker macrumors newbie

I had a problem on my MB 2 days ago, it was stuck on the grey screen. I needed a quick solution so I bought a new HDD and start all over again. Now I have a new HDD with a new mountain lion OS working fine. I'm installing every software I need, not too much.
    I connected the old HDD to rescue the info that was on my desktop on the broken HDD, the problem is I can't find the info that was on it, the only folder I see is the application folder, all other folder seems empty.

Is there any solution to rescue the info I need or is it really finish?

2. panchoskywalker thread starter macrumors newbie

3. panchoskywalker thread starter macrumors newbie

utility Disk says disk need to be repaired, then I try to repair it and it says it can be repaired. What should I do?

4. Weaselboy, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you mean to say Disk Util says it cannot be repaired?

If that is the case, you have two options. You can try buying a third party disk repair utility like Disk Warrior, or you can send the drive out to a company that specializes in data recovery (it won't be cheap).

5. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Which MB and what kind of drive?

An old mechanical HDD is almost impossible to recover easily if it has died. The only real solution is to take it to someone who actually dismantles it and read the disks.

If it is a SSD then you're basically out of luck.

We have all been told to back up often and store all important data twice, like on the Cloud. OS X even prompts us to back-up every time it starts.

6. panchoskywalker thread starter macrumors newbie

an old 160GB HDD, I always backup once in a while and have a secondary HDD instead of the superdrive, so I just lost what was on the desktop, it's not too much but I have to try to recover that info anyway.

I'm now trying to recover the files, I just bought a case.

Then I will try disk warrior then freezing it for a couple of hours, then opening it like I saw on some videos on youtube.

7. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

The was a western digital problem a few years back. I had an old HDD fail and then using a USB connection and an on-line little program in Windows recovered the drive.

Good luck!