Please Help Me! :( ( trying to open iTunes)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mlkc05, Apr 7, 2008.

1. mlkc05 macrumors newbie

HI! I need help trying to open my iTunes!
    I thought it would be cool to upgrade my iTunes to the new iTunes 7 but now it tells me that I need to upgrade my entire system in order to use it! I can't open it at all! I have macbook and I really don't want to have to upgrade my entire system because I only have dial up internet! I know it stinks but that is all I can get and it will take up to (maybe more) 43 HOURS :eek: to upgrade! HELP!!!! Is there any way i can go back to my old iTunes? I worked great!! Please help me! Please, Please, Please....Thank you! :eek:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Is there anywhere you can go to download the updates onto a USB stick?

3. mlkc05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for replying so fast!
    I am not sure where I could go! I live about 2 hours away from any major city even....:(

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Do you have a public library? If so you could bring your macbook there, considering like 90% of small library's have high speed wireless internet.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Trash your iTunes and get the version you need from here.

6. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

he still has an issue with downloading on dial up though...
    do you live near a place with free wi-fi? library? panera? cafe?

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Less than an hour to dl 20MB at 56k.

8. mlkc05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for replying so fast! OMG! you are all so amazing!
    So, I can download iTunes without it taking real long which is why I just updated it in the first place so I wouldn't have to wait for the entire system to upgrade. So, I CAN download iTunes if you guys think it would be ok!
    So, how do I do this? Do I just drag what I have regarding iTunes to the trash and then empty it? even the little icon at the bottom? Just everything? Or how about I just wait and let you guys tell me what to do! LOL! I have messed myself up enough! LOL!
    And when I download it and go to open it disk utility comes up (I am sure it will anyway it always does) what do I do in disk utility with it? That really confuses me! LOL!

Thank you guys again SOOOOOO much for your help! You are way better than any other tech support! Great job and thank you! :)

9. mlkc05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes! I could do this! :D

10. stevegmu macrumors regular

When you download a new version, it will automatically replace the old version, so you don't have to do anything in that regard.

11. mlkc05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so all i need to do is go download the version I need from the post above right? And it will replace the upgraded version I did?

12. stevegmu macrumors regular

The newer version will trump the older version. If you want to use an older version, you will need to toss the newer version in the recycle bin 1st, or it will say something like 'a newer version of iTunes is installed.'

13. mlkc05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that's what I want to do! I want to use an older version how do I get rid of the newer one? Do I trash everything that says itunes basically? I am sorry if I am a HUGE pain! I don't mean to be! LOL!

14. stevegmu macrumors regular

Yeah, just drag anything iTunes related into the Bin and empty it.

15. mlkc05 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, now I am trying to get rid of the itunes I have and it says I cannot trash it because "updaterbackend" is in use...what in the world is that! LOL!

16. stevegmu macrumors regular

Go to Activity Monitor and close Itunes, iTunes update, and anything related to iTunes that is running.

17. mlkc05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, i think i have deleted everything and I now have the downlaod-dowloading! Whew! How do you guys know all of this! LOL! I am exhaugsted! LOL!
    Anything I need to know when this is done downloading? Will it open in Disk Utility? What do I do from there if it does? LOL!

18. msheldrick macrumors regular

it should mount on your desktop and then you just double click on the iTunes installer inside the disk image!

19. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

you "LOL" a lot..do you really Laugh Out Loud as you type these responses??

anyways.. once its done downloading, the disk image should automatically mount itself and the installation progress should start. If not, double click it.

20. mlkc05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I actually snickered to myself and giggled a little but it was much easier to put LOL! LOL! :D:D

Thank you guys so much for your help! You have all been awesome! I can't believe how fast you are!

Thank you again! It means more than you know! :):)

21. mlkc05 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I am having another problem! grrrrr! But, when i go down install this it gives me three things on a list that I can install but won't let me "check" any of them to download they are all "grey" colored indicating that I can't check them. Anyway, it tells me that I can't install because there is nothing to install!!! Oh man! I thought I was doing so good too! LOL! HELP! LOL!

22. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

can u be more specific? what are the three things?

23. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I had the same problem with a machine that couldn't be upgraded past 10.4.2 for some reason not important. I updated iTunes which required me to upgrade the whole system. So I decided to restore the old one.
    The problem is that if you have already installed a newer version is not enought to delete iTunes by dragging it to the trash. The old version installler will somehow detect you had the newer version and thus refuse to overwrite it (although you deleted the app package). The install just said "there is nothing to install". You will have to delete the following file, locate in you hard drive:

"Your hard drive"/Library/Receipts/iTunesX.pkg

Notice it's not in the Library in your home folder.

Once you delete this file try reinstalling the old version.

24. mlkc05 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, where do I find this "Your hard drive"/Library/Receipts/iTunesX.pkg so i can delete it?

25. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Next time you go on a trip (im assuming you are working from a laptop) bring it with you and update your Mac. That way it'll be faster, well if you know for sure that the place your going has wireless. Oh, when I had dial-up (I got so sick of it, I don't even have internet right now) I would just let the computer stay on overnight because there isn't much going on at night and thats how I would update my stuff.

Anyways, good luck.

And yea, the LOL's are getting a bit out of hand, all I can imagine is come crazy person laughing hysterically by themselves at a computer. :) Well that image deserves an lol. On the other hand though, I used to have a smiley face problem. :)