Please Help Me Upgrade Memory and SSD Hard Drive My 2011 13" Base MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregpod9, Aug 8, 2011.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2007
    I'm still using Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 on my 2011 13" base MBP, but will get Lion soon. I also want to run Parallels and bootcamp for Windows 7, but right now I don't have either software.

Last week I bought 8 GB of Corsair ram and they were causing kernel attacks on Snow Leopard and I returned the ram.

I tried out the Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB twice. The first one I bought in May, but I had to return it because it was defective. The second one I bought last week was at a good price, but I ended up selling it because I wanted a true SSD hard drive and the store that I bought it from charges a 15% restocking fee on all returns even for exchanging for the same item or different item.

Please give your recommendation on these:
    1. I want to get reliable brand for 8 GB of memory. I'm not sure if I should go with Crucial or G.Skill?

2. I also want a reliable 128 GB to 160 GB SSD hard drive. I've been looking at Intel, Samsung's 470 series, and Crucial M4. Speed does not need be the fastest, but reliability and stability is more important to me. For trim support, I will be using trim enabler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I want to use Windows 7 with bootcamp and Paralells on the new SSD hard drive, which SSD hard drive should I get and what is a good partition size for Windows 7? I will be using an external hard drive for my music, videos, and important documents.
  2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

May 11, 2009
    I have 8GB of RAM from Crucial and have had no problems. Really I don't think the brand makes a huge difference in RAM, they are all basically made the same, one brand isn't a lot better than the other. I would just go with the better price if I were you.

I can't speak for SSDs, because I don't have one.. I'm sure other members will be along shortly to comment on that part.
  3. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2010
    #3 owc has top end ssd and memory. its the only company i use in my macs
  4. awer25 macrumors 65816

Apr 30, 2011
    I generally get G.Skill RAM (and have it now) b/c it's generally the best buy. It works perfectly, but if Crucial or Corsair are cheaper, get one of those. Check Newegg - they generally have the best prices and selection. OWC sells the same RAM/SSDs but charges $40-50 more.

As for an SSD, consider that TRIMenabler causes problems for a lot of people. SSDs based on Sandforce chips have their own garbage collection and don't really need TRIM. Intel on the other hand does. Personally, I'd go Sandforce and forget the TRIMenabler. I know someone will cite that Sandforce drives have a 1% failure rate as opposed to Samsung's 0.3% failure rate, but considering that practically all SSD failures seem to happen within the first few days, you'll be well within your return period if anything was to actually happen. Plus, Sandforce drives are the fastest (even though I know that isn't your top priority).
  5. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2010
    Samsung 470 SSD

Had it for 6 months in 2 computers with no problems. Currently in my 2011 MBP 13 with Lion and Trim Enabler 1.2
  6. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2011
    Crucial RAM (8GB total) + OWC Merc Extreme Pro 6G 240GB, no need for TRIMEnabler, speeds on-par with OCZ's Vertex 3.
  7. cambookpro macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I had Crucial RAM and it caused kernel panics on my MBP. Ironically, now I have Corsair and it works perfectly :p

We must both of had a bad batch from both companies. As another poster said, the brand doesn't make a huge difference.