Please help me, want to write a program!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Brocko66, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocko66 macrumors newbie

Okay, so I had this hilarious idea to write a program for my schools computers. I want to make so that when people open it all it does is play the music video for "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley. I want it so that it will not stop playing and you cant quit out of it. Does anyone have ideas on how to do this?? Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hilarious. Childish. Sure to get you detention, ISS, expulsion.

We're doing you a favor by not telling you how to do it, even though it can, in fact, be done.

It would have to be purposely opened by a user on every computer. Not an easy feat, considering that you would most likely have to falsify the name of the file to entice people to open it.

I'm also not sure if you could create something that could not be quit by a simple Terminal command, either.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

And in these paranoid days, you might even get the police knocking on your door. This is not a forum for pirates or hackers and you won't get any help with something like this.

4. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Don't do it. Stuff like this will eventually come back to bite you.

Here's my little story of something very similar. Back when I was in Year 9 (2005) a friend and I discovered VNC. Not only that, we discovered several gaps in the school network security. In particular, we enjoyed VNC-ing other peoples' computers (the IPs was easily available) and we were even able to find the yard duty roster because the staff server was almost entirely open.

This went on for the whole year and almost everyone else learned how to use VNC as well (we didn't tell them about the other stuff).

Near the end of the year was when it caught up with us. One of the technicians (a young guy) had known what we were doing but nothing could be done at the time because it would require a whole redo of the network. So one day, right at the very end of the lesson, my friend and I are trying to print something urgently when the computer we're using slows to a crawl. We look down at the system tray and see that someone has VNC-d the computer (these ones were every slow - they were upgraded last year). My friend was able to print one thing off, which I went over to the printer to grab, and when I got back he'd turned off the VNC server.

A few minutes later the guy walks in and my friend gets one week detention. There unfortunately wasn't much to say in his defence. He was a bit of a troublemaker and didn't have as good a relationship with our teacher as I did - but he pushed the button. Plus, the technician had something good on us.

In the end we got tired of VNC and moved onto actually doing some work. The only thing I really gained out of it all were some cheap laughs at other people's expense. Yes I learned about VNC (which I use extensively at home) but we were lucky we got away with what we did.

And that was my very bad essay on why this is not a good idea.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

All programs can be quitted. Computers can also be muted. I suggest growing up and finding a better use of your time.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

These guys did something similar on this video. It has a link to their web site for more details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.