Please help me with image processing software!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cyrusm, Sep 20, 2016.

1. cyrusm macrumors newbie

cyrusm

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Have you clicked your links? look at the last one...what does that have to do with images?

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

What software are you currently using to edit your images in?

4. cyrusm thread starter macrumors newbie

cyrusm

Currently, I'm using Paintbrush. :)

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Well....if you're looking to resample photos, you should consider something a bit higher end than the above. ON1 10 and Photoshop CC includes the ability to upsample an image without degrading quality. If you're looking for a free option, they really don't exist.

6. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

7. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

What about just using Automator already on your Mac? It can Crop and Resize using Preview installed in the Applications folder?

It's quite easy. You create a workflow. Add the files you want and choose the Crop or Resize feature of Preview.

8. cyrusm thread starter macrumors newbie

cyrusm

Does it allow image resize or crop in bulk?

9. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I am looking for a database program to organize my pictures so they can be sorted by date or person or place or subject, etc. Apple used to have such a program that I used on Macs, but that was some time ago, and that software does not work on current Macs.

10. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Yes, you can drag go choose multiple images in and have them cropped and/or resized to a certain size.

See attached image. It's quite the power tool this Automator once you get going. AutomatorExample.png

11. cyrusm thread starter macrumors newbie

cyrusm

Allan,

Thanks for the shout!

I'll surely look into it but now, I'm using Veprit's Resize Sense which is already listed in my question. It looks quite handy to me and helps into tedious image processing task. :)

Attached Files:

12. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I see. It's great to have a selection of applications to choose from. There's probably a bunch more like that once on the Mac App Store.

13. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

That's great advice. And what you learn automating this one specific task will stand you in good stead for automating other things in future. It's amazing what you can achieve with Automator. So many people do time consuming, repetitive tasks needlessly without realising it's even there.

At the risk of scaring you off, if at a later date you want to get super-techie with it then you can also use it access some seriously powerful functionality from ImageMagick* and/or SIPs**, providing you're willing to learn a few lines of shell script.

Good luck!

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageMagick
    ** https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/sips.1.html