Please help me with MAcbook Restore

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jack1233, Jul 7, 2013.

1. jack1233 macrumors newbie

i want to sell this macbook Apple MacBook 13.3" Laptop - MC240X/A (May, 2009)

And I want to install osx 10.7 Lion
    But I dont have the disk.
    Ive got the DMG file on my USB and I need help on how to restore it.

Also I have another problem. Ive partoined the macbook HDD to 130Gb to OSX and 30gb to Windows. When I try and delete it through Disk Utility It Wont delete. Please help

Note; The Macbook will only startup in Recovery Mode, So i cant access finder.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

With it only booting to recovery, you won't be able to make an installer out of that DMG. Just boot from recovery and start Disk Utility then select the drive name at the very top (like Seagate 1TB or whatever) and then erase the entire drive in Mac OS Extended format. By selecting the drive name rather than just the Macintosh HD partition you should get ride of all the partitions and be left with just the one.

Once that is done just click install OS and Lion will DL from the Internet and install. You will be asked for your AppleID you used to purchase Lion.

The issue with all this is while it will work fine, if the new owner ever needs to reinstall the OS they won't be able to since they won't have your AppleID.

If you still have the original OS DVD that came with the machine you would be better off reinstalling the original OS from there to avoid these licensing issues.