Please help me with my master's thesis

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jannuli, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Jannuli macrumors newbie

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

done!

reminds me of psychology surveys at uni. is this for psych?

3. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

There you go.

You WERE talking about Apple computers, right? ;)

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Can you describe what you mean by community? Do you specifically mean MacRumors? I'm just not 100% sure what you are surveying me on.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I second that. Sorry guy but the first rule of this if it is for your thesis is your test group should really understand what you're doing. Did your questions get reviewed by your professor? I know mine were and I had to dump a ton of them and rewrite them because they were too vague.

6. KompleX macrumors regular

i'm afraid i don't understand questions 4 and 5. firstly what do you mean by "participating" and how does question 4 differ from 5??

7. Jannuli thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!

Here is some replies for your questions

With the word community I mean this community; MacRumors
    The questions have been revised by my professor, but that does not mean that they would be perfect; far from it:(
    With participating i mean posting, reading posts etc. i.e. both active and passive participation

If there is any suggestions on how to improve the questions I would be glad to hear them!

Thanks

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I understand all the questions.

However, your should re-label your scaling. Going from "I strongly disagree" to "I strongly agree" isn't good. Define what the "middle" option means. Does it mean, "I don't agree or disagree"? Does it mean "I don't have an opinion on this"?

Also, Apple sells so many products that it's difficult to say whether I would switched brands, or whether I would consider it. I wouldn't switch from Apple computers unless something better came along. However, I could possibly switch MP3 players because there are a few competing mp3 players that are fantastic.

Also, what about software? I'm using Adobe Lightroom instead of Aperture. I wanted to like Aperture. I gave it a chance. I hated it. I hated version 1.5, even, and that's when it "became good". Now they're on version 2.0 (or 2.1), and I'm going to give it another try via the demo. Did I switch brands?

9. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Good luck with your masters thesis. I am finishing up my honours thesis myself in a couple of weeks :D

11. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Done & good luck! Working on my thesis as well.

12. nikopolidis macrumors regular

I've done it! :)
    Thank you so much for giving me and idea of how I should make my master's survey!!!!! :D SurveyMonkey.com is a nice solution!
    I must have done it by the end of April. But I can't post it here because I'm going to question top-managers of some companies... Or maybe someone of you are these TOPs? ;)

13. Jannuli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your answers!!! I really appreciate it! I've got about 40 answers so far and I'm expecting more:

To Abstract: you are totally right in what you say;
    The scaling in my survey is:
    1 = strongly disagree; 2 = moderately disagree; 3 = slightly disagree; 4 = neutral; 5 = slightly agree; 6 = moderately agree; and 7 = strongly agree.

It is true that brand switching can happen at product level and this doesn't necessarily mean that a person would be switching the brand in general. The brand related questions in my questionnaire are very general and only reflect a person's overral attitude towards the brand. I think I must add a text field to those brand related questions...

Thanks for the great feedback

14. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I do not think you can revise the questions after releasing the survey or you have to wipe all data obtained prior to.
    Just saying is all. I'm sure you wonder why this would be important and the reason being is many people have gone on to do further research with their Thesis. They've received grant money and furthered something either by way of education or solving an actual problem. Therefore, it would be very important to collect accurate data, even if you think this is just for school. :)

16. Jannuli thread starter macrumors newbie

That's right

Your right jessica.
    I won't change the questions because i want to keep it accurate:)

17. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'm confident that you have this already, but just in case there is a paper simply called "Brand Communities" by Albert Muniz and Thomas O’Guinn that is very crucial research to anyone studying the same topic.

I wrote a paper on the same topic a couple years ago and found it extremely helpful. Good luck. I actually just finished my college's equivalent of a thesis today!

18. Jannuli thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Gratz ricgnzlzcr!

Actually all of Muniz's articles are great. There are also many other researchers on the topic such as Bernard Cova, James McAlexander. I first spent something like 5 months reading all the possible literature on brand communities and also on virtual communities. Doing research is fun but very heavy as well. Hope I get enough data collected; the count is 51 now:)

Humble thank you for all the people who have answered!

19. Jannuli thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey!

There is still some time left to fill out the questionnaire for my thesis!
    I will keep it online till sunday so please contribute and help me to graduate:)

Thanks!!!