Please help me with the latest Handbrake... & VLC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sonictonic, Jan 21, 2009.

1. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I'm totally lost and can't find an answer anywhere :(

I'm no beginner here but definitely not an expert either, though I have used Handbrake a number of times without any problem getting one of my DVD's on to the computer to watch on the iPhone or whatever. But now, trying to rip a region 1 DVD using the Japanese audio and English subtitles options in the latest version of handbrake, The first half of my encoded MP4 "Apple Universal" preset file, is totally scrambled. Audio is fine but the picture is blocky and totally screwed up. If I fast forward toward the end, it's perfect. Subtitles are there and everything. I guess that probably has nothing to do with it, but just saying. Why is the beginning and majority of my video file totally screwed up and not usable? :(

I learned the latest handbrake uses VLC Player to decode the DVD's right? Okay so I made sure I have the latest version of that as well. Still no go. Here is the weird thing though, trying t play the DVD in VLC Player, when the menu TRIES to load up, the window is totally scrambled, just like my handbrake encode. The sound is there but a little choppy, and the menu picture is so scrambled you cant even see where to click on play/chapter 1, 2, etc. But, if I load this DVD in Apple's own DVD Player app, the disc plays just fine!

What's the deal here? I'm frustrated and confused. :p Can someone help me? Thanks in advance. :)

2. sonictonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. BStyle105 macrumors newbie

missing one crucial ingredient....

Mac the Ripper