Please help me with this tattoo idea

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7254278, Apr 12, 2007.

1. 7254278 macrumors 68020

Hey guys,
    Here is the deal. I graduate highschool soon and this represents a big point in my life, a transition. My best friend is moving to australia, chances are I will never see her again. I want to get a tattoo to conmemorate our frienship but I dont really know what. I only know two things. It has to be no bigger then a credit card, it has to be black and white only. The only idea I had was to write the word "sweetheart"(its what I would always call her) in arabic. I chose arabic because no one else will be able to read it, its a personal thing for me. But I am open to any other design ideas, just brainstorming here. . . All I know is I dont want something typical like a heart with a name. . . It can be words or a symbolic picture . . . Lets see if you guys have any ideas.

Thanks in advance

PS: Before anyone tries to talk me out of it, I am not new to tattoos and I have thought long and hard before getting it. I am set on it and this friendship is very important to me and I want to be able to look at the tattoo in 20 years and remember the good times.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I think it's best if you decide what it is.

What best defines your relationship?
    A common bond?
    Where on your body will this tat be? (Makes a big difference)
    Sorry to ask but are you male or female? (Not blatantly obvious from your post and do not want to assume)

A good idea is to go around lots of tattoo parlours and speak to the artists there and gain their thoughts and knowledge. They know what looks good what is achievable, if you give them a free rein (drawings only at this stage) then i feel you can get a really nice piece made up for you. Edit: Or any of your friends artists/graphic designers they may be able to document the relationship in a beautiful way.

We will want to see pictures after, you could even show preliminary designs for critique.

Just for reference i have tat's on my wrists and ever since, getting on 5 years now, i have had the itch for more.

3. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

I am a male. The two places I had in mind is right on my heart or on my bicep. I guess what defines our relationship is we have been there for each other through thick and thin.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I am in no way an artist but i feel that if you go and speak to the right people, or the right people reply on here then they can do something really nice with the "thick and thin" idea. If you get some drawings made up you can always see how they look on the different parts of your body.

Sit down and make a list of all of the things that really embody your relationship, think it through carefully and please do not rush, it will last all of your life so you want to get it right.

Happy (belated) 18th

5. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks you very much for your help man, very insightful:)

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

As i said previously I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

I'm only 22 so I am by no means life experienced, just trying to pass on what little experience I have gained.

You could sit down and bounce ideas off your friend, will make it even more meaningful if you both "designed" the tattoo.

To qualify "designed" I always feel it is best to get the final design done by the artist that will actually do the tattoo for you. Any good tattoo artist will produce drawings for you and if you are not happy with their interpretation of your design then that is fine. Move to another artist, but give feedback and explain way, they maybe able to alter the design. Because after all art is very personal thing so it is more of a case of finding a tattoo artist that you like. Also tattoo artists will generally have photo albums of their previous work, feel free to browse them to gain ideas, again take her / other friends along with you. Do not feel bullied or scared to voice your opinion to the tattoo artist, as you have to live with the tattoo.

Also if you see tattooed people in your local area with work that you like go and ask them where they got it done. Most people are willing to answer questions and especially tattooed people about their tattoos.

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Have you figured out if, first off, there is in fact a literal translation of the word "sweetheart" in arabic? After all, the word sweetheart seems to be a sort of idiom to the english language? Second, if there is a literal translation, have you seen what it looks like? I remember drunkenly giggling at my roommate's arabic textbook because a few of the words looked like, ahem, certain body parts :D
    Yes, I was immature then and I still am today!

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Good point, and get someone trustworthy to translate it.

9. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

There probably isnt a literal translation, I have an arab friend who will translate it for me, most likely phonetically.

Worst comes to worst, I will post another thread :D