Please help me with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fabiettomac, Sep 11, 2012.

1. fabiettomac macrumors newbie

hi,
    there's the situation: i constantly travel between two apartments, each one with its own wifi network and internet connection, and i need something that just joins the wifi network and shares the external drives eventually connected to it. my setup is a macbook air "on the move" and an iphone 4s, always with me, two imacs (one G4 and one CD2 aluminium imac), a vaio laptop and a ps3 in one apartment, and another ps3 in the other one.

now, the questions about the time capsule:

- can this thing join different networks without reconfiguration, or should i re-join the wifi every time i change apartment?

- can the time capsule just share the content of an external drive (hfs-formatted) both on windows and on mac? and for the ps3, that uses DLNA?

- can the time machine backup the content of the external hard drive in the TM internal hard disk? how? i don't need the time machine thing, i don't keep my files on my macs, all the data is on external hard drives.

thanks!

2. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

The best Time Machine reference I've found is:
    http://pondini.org/TM/Home.html

This should answer many of your questions. You can email the author if you have more questions; he's very responsive.