please help me!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xDYLANx, Nov 20, 2008.

1. xDYLANx macrumors regular

xDYLANx

I bought a used MacBook from a guy on CL. And I tried deleting all of his old stuff off of it. It's a 60 GB drive, and I only have 6.79 GB available...

I only have 10.27 GB of music and Firefox and Windows Live Messenger, so at the most I have 11 GB of stuff... so my question is...

How do I delete old files from my HD when I've already deleted all of the other users?

(I honestly would just wipe my HD if I had a hard copy of Leopard)

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. xDYLANx thread starter macrumors regular

xDYLANx

ideally yes...but i dont know where to find them

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Double click on your hard drive icon. Select each folder serarately and go to File>Get Info. Eventually you'll find where all that space is being used. The files in the folders should be named in such a way that you will know they aren't yours.

5. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Check if you can delete some unused apps from the applications folder.

Perhaps this application can help you clean up your drive - GrandPerspective

GrandPerspective is a small utility application for Mac OS X that graphically shows the disk usage within a file system. It can help you to manage your disk, as you can easily spot which files and folders take up the most space. It uses a so called tree map for visualisation. Each file is shown as a rectangle with an area proportional to the file's size. Files in the same folder appear together, but their placement is otherwise arbitrary.

So just select the whole Macintosh HD as the folder to scan and have a look at the results

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

^^That's a good idea too and might be faster for you.

Oh- and please don't delete anything for the "Library" or "System" folders. You wouldn't like that. :)

7. xDYLANx thread starter macrumors regular

xDYLANx

is sleepimage something vital to the system...it's marked private and i need to know if i should trash it

8. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

A quick search on MR: sleepimage/swap files..safe to delete?

I quote WildCowboy: "Sleepimage is a function of the new "Safe Sleep" function that sends all of your RAM data to that hard drive file every time you put your computer to sleep so that you don't lose everything if your computer loses all power. If you delete the sleepimage file, it will simply be recreated the next time you reboot your computer."

:cool:

9. xDYLANx thread starter macrumors regular

xDYLANx

cool thanks.

this is really annoying me. if someone has a spare copy of leopard and lives in denver...let me know. lol i just wanna wipe my drive and be done with it