Please help... memory error

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seadragon, Apr 7, 2010.

1. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Hi guys,

I have a 2009 Mac Pro with 12 GB of Apple installed RAM. It's been running fine overall, but last night I ran into a memory problem. I have 6 x 2 GB sticks installed in slots 1,2,3,5,6,7.

I started up the MP and a memory configuration adviser screen came up and said the memory sticks were not in the correct order. The computer only showed 10 GB or RAM in the About menu. I then clicked on More Info and it showed memory slot 7 was empty.

So, I restarted again with the same results.

I restarted a 3rd time and this time the memory adviser came up again and said that all memory was installed correctly. I then had the full 12 GB showing up.

I ran Apple Tech Tool deluxe and it's quick memory test said it passed.

Has anyone run into this problem? Again, this is Apple RAM that was pre-installed by Apple. I recently applied the 10.0.3 update if that has any bearing.

Thanks for any help/advice.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

3. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

Thanks for that link SilentPanda!

I'll try reseating the RAM as you suggest. Just strange that it started doing this after 9 months.

4. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

Just a quick update...

It looks like one of the sticks of RAM is going bad. The problem usually only happens when the computer is first started up. If I restart again, the RAM gets recognized.

I swapped the stick from slot 7 to slot 1 and then slot 1 started showing the RAM as missing. So its definitely the stick. I'll have to figure out how to get the warranty replacement done now.